Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Using Bandhelper live...some observations !

Started by wakevortex, September 09, 2017, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakevortex

Hi Arlo

Having sorted my USB midi   issues out using the Bluetooth option  (MD-BT01) I could finally use bandhelper without worry last night for first time.
I have some observations/suggestions if you don't mind ...sorry they are all in same thread 

Setlists
When adding a song during a set , is there any way to turn OFF that song immediately playing when selecting it to add to set...I picked by mistake the wrong one which then auto played..I then had to stop it- not ideal at all as it was a christmas song !!!!
My sets change a lot during performance depending on people reaction.
Cant we just select it and add to set , then play it when ready ?

Is there any way to amend the running order of the set when loaded?
I decide that I want to play  a song next which is way down the page  ..
It would be great to be able to MOVE that songs position in the set list directly from the live set page so it actually IS next
I know I can scroll down to it, but several times I tried that the set list seemed to return to where I was in the list , losing my song I wanted next ...

Autoscrolling

This seems to have a mind of its own
Many times the lyrics simply didn't keep up with the track , so I lost my place as the lyrics were behind...they rarely kept up , so the song finishes, lyrics still think they have 15/20 seconds to go..?
All recordings have correct time manually added....How do I amend this to work correctly . (I know I can automate but that's a big job for all songs ) ......any idea why?

Because of this I had to manually interrupt the scroll and scroll down to find my place (not easy while playing guitar ! )  several times the lyrics changed and turned into a white lyric sheet rather than my normal lyric (which I couldn't then scroll) ..whats going on to trigger this change?

Finally for now (LOL)
Having got the MD-BT01 to work, I had to manually reselect it and connect after starting  bandhelper for it to be available.Is there any way to DEFAULT to the MD-BT01 if BH sees it available, or do I have to go into settings and connect every time?

Thanks for any help...much appreciated...  !

Bill P

Uwe

Hi,
We are using auto scroll for quite a while.

1. You're song duration has to be quite right, a little shorter is better.
2. Use a pedal to select page back/fwd. if things go wrong you can select the right page anytime without interrupting your playing.
3. Don't scroll around a lot manually with auto calc on, it gets very confusing then. Check playing time of a song when rehearsing.
4. Build a sound off or stop playback button into your layout.
5. You can add songs anytime to your setlist, so start with two songs and add the others on the fly.
6. You can scroll rapidly using the alphabet at the side of the title list.

Btw. The Yamaha BTs are pretty crappy...., but sometimes they work. Never had that luck ;).
Cheers
Uwe

arlo

When adding a song during a set , is there any way to turn OFF that song immediately playing when selecting it to add to set

Are you using the song selection actions to play recordings? I'll have to look into options for that.

Is there any way to amend the running order of the set when loaded?

No, but see "How can I add or rearrange my songs while performing a show" in the FAQ:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/FAQ.html

several times I tried that the set list seemed to return to where I was in the list , losing my song I wanted next

Please submit a help ticket if you want to troubleshoot that:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/add.html

Many times the lyrics simply didn't keep up with the track

Are you using the built-in lyrics field, or attached documents? If you think something is wrong, it would be best to submit a help ticket and describe a specific example from your account.

several times the lyrics changed and turned into a white lyric sheet rather than my normal lyric

I'm not sure what you're describing here. Some screen shots might be helpful. If you submit a help ticket, you can upload screen shots from within the app.

Is there any way to DEFAULT to the MD-BT01 if BH sees it available

No, that connection function is provided by iOS and it doesn't include an auto-reconnect option.

arlo

P.S. If you submit help tickets for any of the above, please submit a separate ticket per issue.

wakevortex

Thanks Arlo (and Uwe)

Arlo. Will send some examples to you and give more detail....couldn't do screenshots in the heat of the gig so will try to reproduce ..
Uwe some good advice to check..much appreciated ..

Bill P

arlo

Coming back to this one:

When adding a song during a set , is there any way to turn OFF that song immediately playing when selecting it to add to set...I picked by mistake the wrong one which then auto played..I then had to stop it- not ideal at all as it was a christmas song !!!!

Would it work to use the Trigger On Second Selection option on Repertoire > Layouts > [layout name] > Edit Details? Then viewing a song or quick-adding it to your set list wouldn't trigger the recording, but selecting the same song a second time would. This would have the added benefit of letting you browse through some different songs before selecting the one you want to play, but would have the disadvantage of requiring you to select each song twice if you're just going through the set list in order.

In the next version, you'll be able to assign some song selection actions to the first selection and some to the second selection, so that option will be more flexible.

wakevortex

Hmmm. Well ideally it would just add the song to the set and thats it.... then selecting the song as usual in the set list would trigger play .selecting twice could be a bit hit and miss for regular song triggering ..is that not an easier option...add and do nothing?

arlo

That's not an easier option because the second selection option is how it already works. I'll think about it some more.

arlo

Quote from: wakevortex on September 09, 2017, 01:56:17 AM
Having got the MD-BT01 to work, I had to manually reselect it and connect after starting  bandhelper for it to be available.Is there any way to DEFAULT to the MD-BT01 if BH sees it available, or do I have to go into settings and connect every time?

In the new app version released yesterday, the Bluetooth MIDI buttons have been moved to the MIDI Status window, so you can just click the MIDI icon in the top toolbar to access them rather than going to the Settings page. More info about the new version is here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1785.0.html

arlo

Quote from: wakevortex on September 09, 2017, 01:56:17 AM

Also in yesterday's update, adding a song with the Quick Add button will no longer trigger its song selection actions. You'd have to explicitly select it to trigger those, and that would be considered the first selection (so if you're using Song Second Selection, formerly Trigger On Second Selection), you'd have to explicitly select it a second time. This is consistent with the behavior of the first song in the set list when you first load the set list.

wakevortex

Great news....will take a look at those ...thanks Arlo !

Bill P