Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Importing in BH

Started by Moon Dog, September 14, 2017, 03:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moon Dog

Hey everyone.
Making the transition from SLM to BH.....
A bit painful but I am getting there.

So I imported my DB from SLM. That seemed to go off without a hitch.

Now I have been working on some new songs in SLM since I am not fully ready to commit all to BH yet......

So now I have to individually import these new songs. So here are my questions.

I see I can batch import the songs via a tab delimited text format. I would really like to do this via a spreadsheet. It appears the example files are all text files. Any examples out there of a spreadsheet format? Can I comment out a header row so I can see where everything goes?

I also see where I can batch import documents/lyric sheets and Recordings. This should auto sync with the songs as long as I get the file names correct.

So double checking do I have everything.
Oh I already imported all my Midi Presets all 300 of them and my Midi Devices 5.

Songs Imported
Documents Imported
Recordings Imported..

Wait...what about the Automation that goes with my songs? This has to be a separate file right? If I have to recreate a new automation track in BH every time I import a song from SLM that is going to kill me. I spend hours getting those automation tracks perfect. Not easy since you have to start at the beginning of the song every time even it its to add a preset at the end of the song.....frustrating.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks.

Moon Dog.

arlo

I see I can batch import the songs via a tab delimited text format. I would really like to do this via a spreadsheet. It appears the example files are all text files. Any examples out there of a spreadsheet format? Can I comment out a header row so I can see where everything goes?

Tab-delimited text is interchangeable with spreadsheet apps. So you can open the sample file in Excel, for example, work on it there and then save it back as tabbed text.

Wait...what about the Automation that goes with my songs? This has to be a separate file right? If I have to recreate a new automation track in BH every time I import a song from SLM that is going to kill me.

When you import a Set List Maker database into BandHelper, the automation tracks come with it. If you're talking about simultaneously maintaining the same songs in both products (add a song, copy it over, add another song, copy it over), there is no support for that. The apps weren't designed to be used in parallel like that. Fortunately this is a temporary situation until you decide which app to commit to.

I spend hours getting those automation tracks perfect. Not easy since you have to start at the beginning of the song every time even it its to add a preset at the end of the song.....frustrating.

You could start recording, add the new preset right away, stop recording, then edit the automation track and change the timing to move that new action to the end.