Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

[Solved] 3.2 - 1000+ song Smart List takes 15+ seconds to load

Started by chris@katsukurimedia, October 31, 2017, 01:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris@katsukurimedia

3.2 looks great.

But I use a Smart List when gigging arranged by genre, general tempo (slow med fast dance), and other useful groupings. This means some songs are duplicated in the list, which is why there are so many songs. Previous versions loaded great, but this is unusable now. It takes 15 - 20 seconds to load now. Once I'm in the List it's ok, but if I need to go to a different Smart List using the top drop down, it needs to load again, which just cant happen on stage. Even moderate set lists take longer to load than before.

iPhone 6s+, latest stable iOS

I unfortunately won't turn off auto app updates just for BH, but this is a bit of a bummer.

arlo

Which part of the app exactly is slowing down? The easiest way to describe that is to tell me the buttons you're clicking to get to that.

chris@katsukurimedia

Project
Rep
Smart Lists
Choose list
Choose layout
Wait...
Smart list loads after a while
Click top "quick change" list
Choose new long list
Wait....
Smart list loads after a while

I wonder if it has to do with the duplicate songs (multiple tags per song, Smart List arranged by Tags) because my "All Songs" Smart List which doesn't duplicate songs loads much faster. But it could be less songs as well (400+ vs 1000+).

Regardless, loading the Smart List is much slower than any previous version on the same hardware.

Thanks!!

arlo

It's probably the sheer number of songs, if the "All Songs" smart list is also slower.

Can you try with different layouts and see if that makes a difference? I'd expect that the more options you have selected for your song list, the longer it will take to load.

chris@katsukurimedia

I'll experiment. No previous version had this issue with the same lists.

chris@katsukurimedia

I just noticed that while in the big Smart List, if I change and save Text size - or any other edit function even in the song itself - I get the same long freeze after pressing save. Does the Smart List get reloaded after something like that?

Even using a shorter Set List, there seems to be a 1 second freeze after saving Text Size. This might be a challenge. I JUST figured a great way to arrange my songs for a gig woh lots of requests, using smart lists so I don't have to manually add new songs each time to set lists. But this long load/wait/freeze isn't working out.

I'll try to figure out something else, but if load times could go back to how they were before, that'd be great.

chris@katsukurimedia

The app is definitely unresponsive (freeze) when I have any type of Sync. I deleted the app and did a clean install of all my data. No change. This is going to be an interesting gig.

arlo

Normally there's no need to sync your database during a gig. If you want to ensure that you don't do it, you can turn off Settings > Account Sync > Auto-Sync. It will turn back on automatically next time you launch the app.

arlo

I don't see any changes in the code that would affect the load time of the song list in a smart list. However, one layout could be slower than another depending on what options are turned on in that layout, so it would be worth comparing some different layouts.

Also, my iPhone 6 definitely slowed down after installing iOS 11; not sure if that's an issue on your iPhone 6s+ or if the problem actually started when installing iOS 11.

How does the load time of a smart list compare to the load time of the Repertoire > Songs list?

chris@katsukurimedia

i'm going to get some screen recordings later today/tomorrow to show exactly what's happening.

Quote from: arlo on November 01, 2017, 11:44:10 AM
I don't see any changes in the code that would affect the load time of the song list in a smart list. However, one layout could be slower than another depending on what options are turned on in that layout, so it would be worth comparing some different layouts.

Also, my iPhone 6 definitely slowed down after installing iOS 11; not sure if that's an issue on your iPhone 6s+ or if the problem actually started when installing iOS 11.

How does the load time of a smart list compare to the load time of the Repertoire > Songs list?

i've had iOS 11 on my 6s+ for a while now - always the latest stable versions. previous versions of BH did not exhibit this issue at all. sure, the 1000+ Smart List took slightly longer to load than shorter ones, but total about 2 seconds or less. just going from memory, as it wasn't even an issue.

my Layouts have 9 elements total, so i'll try with fewer as a test.

the Rep>Songs list loads in 2 seconds, which seems normal.

i'm going to try to make a huge Set List and see if it's similar to the large Smart List. i will also test turning off Auto Sync.

arlo

It will be the options in the song list that mainly determines the load time.

Disabling syncing will avoid reloading the song list after the sync finishes, so that will only make a difference if you're editing data from a set list or smart list.

chris@katsukurimedia

Quote from: arlo on November 01, 2017, 02:10:04 PMso that will only make a difference if you're editing data from a set list or smart list.
yup, during the gig i might change Text Size, and i do want to save it for next time, and that's when i get a freeze again, assuming the Smart List is reloading after the Sync. i was also getting the freeze simply when switching songs for some reason - no idea why.

so auto-sync off can help for now, but ultimately it'd be great if the Smart List loading can return to how all previous version of BH worked.

i made a prelim plan to make multiple smaller Smart Lists than the one large one with all Tags, but it'd be great to have it all in one. i'll explain more about why and how exactly i use this Smart List soon. :D

arlo

I'm still waiting to hear the results of comparing the speed of your different layouts...

chris@katsukurimedia

arlo

Giving me your account name would also be good so I can look up your layout settings. You can submit a help ticket to avoid posting that publicly:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia