Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Widget, Wordpress

Started by matthew_, November 02, 2017, 07:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthew_

We are currently using GigPress for displaying our shows on our wordpress site, but it seems like BandHelper can provide a lot of this functionality. Any thoughts on a plugin to display the info from BandHelper? Perhaps it would not really have an advantage over the current widget, IDK.

If anyone can post some links to their websites running the widget, that would be much appreciated. I'd love to see how it looks and compares to GigPress.

Also, is this widget still actively evolving, feature-wise, or is it pretty much where it's going to be?

Thanks! Really appreciating the added features in BandHelper (over SLM), and just want to make the most of it. Although, I can't imaging exhausting its capabilities anytime soon. lol

arlo

I don't think a plug-in would have any advantage over the existing widget. It would probably be the same code but installed differently. From looking at a few GigPress examples, the display options seem comparable. BandHelper's widget can do a table layout (like all the GigPress examples I saw) or a paragraph layout (which is nicer if you have only a few events, or want to put it into a narrower space like a sidebar).

BandHelper's widget can show your basic event info plus any custom fields you designate as public, with optional links for more info. Every field is marked with CSS so you can add your own styling to the whole thing or to individual fields. You can show events, hide them or show them as a "private event" with limited details.

I have a couple additions I plan to make to the widget functionality this year, but it's pretty straightforward and there's not that much to do with it. If there's something more you would like it to do, you can always send your suggestions.

Rvandersteen

We use the BH widget on our site (https://www.redhothorndawgs.com/#calendar-section) and it has worked well. I couldn't get things formatted just the way I wanted to so that the site looks good on mobile and desktop. I went back and forth between the paragraph and table options. I ended up using the table option and marking up the table w/ css.

I do wish there was a way imbed a link in the widget text. For example, if the venue is "Hody Bar and Grill" that text could appear as a hyper link to that venue's website.

Also, it by default only shows data 6 months in the future. We book a lot of weddings and repeat gigs and we know a lot of our calendar into late 2018. It would be great if the # of months was customizable so potential clients and fans can see when we are playing outside of 6 months. Right now, I'm forced to put a disclaimer on the site saying it's only 6 months out.

arlo

I do wish there was a way imbed a link in the widget text. For example, if the venue is "Hody Bar and Grill" that text could appear as a hyper link to that venue's website.

Currently if a custom field contains only a URL, then the widget will include the name of the custom field, linked to that URL. For example, you can make a custom field named "More Info" and then put the venue URL into it and the widget will include a "More Info" link. Other possibilities are "Tickets," "Directions," etc.

Also, it by default only shows data 6 months in the future.

I plan to add options for that in the next batch of website updates later this year.

matthew_

Thank you. It looks like it displays most of the info I need. I guess one big feature from GigPress would be the venue management. Once you setup a venue with address, contact info, etc., you can just select it next time. Also, this info shows up in the display automatically links to this info, as appropriate.
Here is it running on our website: http://www.frequencyjamming.com/shows/

arlo

Thank you. It looks like it displays most of the info I need. I guess one big feature from GigPress would be the venue management. Once you setup a venue with address, contact info, etc., you can just select it next time.

You can do that in BandHelper:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/managing_contacts.html

Also, this info shows up in the display automatically links to this info, as appropriate.

I'm not sure I'd want the address to link automatically. As a user, let's say you've linked your address to Google Maps, but I want to open it in the default Maps app on my iPhone. In that case it would be harder to select the address if it already has a Google Maps link on it.

matthew_

Quote from: arlo on November 06, 2017, 08:19:29 AM
You can do that in BandHelper:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/managing_contacts.html

Awesome, thanks. That helps a lot.

I'm not sure I'd want the address to link automatically. As a user, let's say you've linked your address to Google Maps, but I want to open it in the default Maps app on my iPhone. In that case it would be harder to select the address if it already has a Google Maps link on it.

I see your point. Although, I think a lot of people would be happy to have a quick idea where the show was, regardless of the app it used.

But regardless, I think this could suit our needs. Next step is getting our "booker" to use this instead of a pocket calendar. Scares me a little, TBH. . .

arlo

I see your point. Although, I think a lot of people would be happy to have a quick idea where the show was, regardless of the app it used.

You could make a custom field called "Directions," then paste a maps link into that custom field, and it will appear as a link below the address.

matthew_

arlo

The Settings > Schedule Sharing page now has a Future Range setting to control how far in advance the events are displayed.