Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Sluggish and Choppy since new upgrade..

Started by Papa John, November 13, 2017, 08:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa John

:(  Hey Arlo,  Although I love a lot of the new features you have added with this latest release, it seems like the program has gotten a little overloaded with things to calculate regarding the position of they lyrics.

Specifically:

• When I just try and move my lyrics with my finger, it does not respond right away and sometimes not at all
  • After it does eventually move, I can't move it again for another second
  • When I tap my screen to jump to the next page there is also a delay (about 300 ms I'm guessing)
  • I'm using the new position tags now which means going back and redoing the automation for every song I have, but again there is a noticable delay from the time I tap the screen to the time the lyrics move.
    It's tricky to get the timing right.
  • Hitting save after editing automation takes a long time now.
  • Even clearing the automation takes over a second now when it used to be instantaneous.

I hope this new upgrade just didn't get so much more complicated as the system is recalculating positions, font sizes, etc. etc. that I'm forced to buy an new iPad just to get it to work right.

Is anyone else having these types of issues? 

I use an iPad 3 mini.

-John

arlo

If the iPad Mini 3 has iOS 11, that would be the a 3-year difference in age between iOS version and hardware version, so that could introduce some speed issues.

But some of what you're describing here other explanations:

After it does eventually move, I can't move it again for another second

The app now ignores taps that come within a second of a drag. This is because many people accidentally touch the screen with a stray finger while dragging, triggering unwanted page jumps.

When I tap my screen to jump to the next page there is also a delay (about 300 ms I'm guessing)

This sounds like the delay needed to determine whether you are single-tapping or double-tapping (the app has to wait to see if a second tap arrives before acting on the first tap). That hasn't changed in years as far as I know. Anyway, do you really need to change pages with sub-second precision?

When I just try and move my lyrics with my finger, it does not respond right away and sometimes not at all

A video would help troubleshoot that.

Hitting save after editing automation takes a long time now.

A help desk ticket would help troubleshoot that.

BTW, it's likely that jumping to a marker is slower than jumping to pages as before, but if you don't have markers, the speed would be the same as before. In other words, adding the new functionality shoudn't change the app speed for someone who isn't using the new functionality.

Papa John

Hey Arlo,

Thanks for getting back to me, as always.

First of all, it actually does matter that I get instantenous responses from Bandhelpler when I am playing live.  I often have to make changes quickly, while playing, and I need my songs to start the moment I touch my screen as I am sometimes timing the ending of one song to the start of another. The application was perfect in this regard before the update. Now my focus gets taken away from playing as I wait to see if the screen is responding or not as I try to get things done in real time.

I would be thrilled if there was an option to NOT check for a double click as this seems to be the root of many, if not all, of these issues.

Maybe the saves seem to take longer because they too are waiting to make sure I am not double clicking my screen.

I will send you more info on the other questions...

arlo

The sub-second delay before processing a click would only affect clicks on the document viewer, to change pages or change documents. Also, this delay has always been there, it's nothing new.

Gordo

I'm having same problem. I've removed any unnecessary apps from my ipad mini and I've cleared the browse history. In addition; I make sure there are no apps running in the background. Doing these things has helped considerably but, still not as smooth as prior to the IOS update.

Hope this helps.

G

arlo

I'm having same problem. I've removed any unnecessary apps from my ipad mini and I've cleared the browse history. In addition; I make sure there are no apps running in the background. Doing these things has helped considerably but, still not as smooth as prior to the IOS update.

I think the original poster was talking about some specific aspects of the set list view related to an app version update, but you're talking about overall device performance related to an iOS version update?