Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

SLM on Android to TC Helicon Voicelive 3 via usb for MIDI

Started by Newfie, December 23, 2017, 04:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newfie

Hi All,

Has anyone set this up? If so, how

Thanks and take care and Merry Christmas!
Newfie

tropx

Just go to YouTube and search VoiceLive with Setlist Maker. There's a couple of tutorials: pretty easy, and works well. I use VL xtereme 3 with Setlist Maker, no problems.

Newfie

Hi All,

My Android tablet only has a micro-usb connection.

I can't figure out if I have to go MIDI to the Voicelive 3 or if I can go usb to the VL3.

Is there a micro-usb MIDI cable that will go from the tablet to VL3?

And ... here's the issue, how will I be able to charge the tablet when it's connected to the VL3?

I've been going back and forth between here and the VL3 form, but no one's been able to figure it out.

Take care

arlo

I can't figure out if I have to go MIDI to the Voicelive 3 or if I can go usb to the VL3.

That would depend on whether the VoiceLive 3 has a class-compliant USB MIDI interface. Their specs would either say that, or "iPad/Android compatible." Then it would just be a matter of finding the right kind of USB cables or adapters, which shouldn't be a problem. Those come in pretty much any combination.

how will I be able to charge the tablet when it's connected to the VL3?

You can get a Y cable like this to connect a charger and a USB device at the same time:

https://amzn.to/2MaX28S

iguana

Looking at the VL3 manual, it looks like it will take MIDI over USB - there is a setting on the MIDI tab to switch between using the USB and the DIN ports for MIDI.

However, it may depend on which version of Android your tablet is running. IIRC, class-compliant MIDI over USB was only introduced in Android 6.0 (Marsmallow). Though, support for USB-C was also added in that release, so you're probably in luck.

arlo

IIRC, class-compliant MIDI over USB was only introduced in Android 6.0 (Marsmallow).

My apps could do USB MIDI before that, but they used a 3rd-party library that wasn't compatible with all devices. So this is generally more reliable in Android 6 and later, where my apps use Android's MIDI frameworks.