Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Device link - docs

Started by Miro, January 03, 2018, 10:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miro

Hi. I am very satisfied with BH, it has so many possibilities. I use two 13" tablets with mutual linking. Author has patiently answered al my questions :)
Regarding linking of devices - is there a way to link selected document in song?
Miro

arlo

Do you mean when you select the document on the master device, the same document would be selected on the slave devices? Unfortunately, no. What is your scenario where you would need to broadcast changes to the selected document?

Miro

Quote from: arlo on January 03, 2018, 12:03:45 PM
Do you mean when you select the document on the master device, the same document would be selected on the slave devices?
Yes.
Quote from: arlo on January 03, 2018, 12:03:45 PM
What is your scenario where you would need to broadcast changes to the selected document?
I have about 20 sets and about 10 song in set. But we play acording to mood on dancefloor so I often change sets/songs on the fly.
I attach a Picture what I like to set list should look like so that it would be useful for me.

Actually I use BH in very specific way to achieve something similar, but if it could be as in the Picture, I would be happy. Just to have ALL repertoire in one screen.

arlo

I see what you're asking for with your screen shot, but how is that related to selecting documents through device linking?

BTW, to achieve what you're asking for with your screen shot, you can click the set list name at the top of the set list view to show a popup of all the set lists, then jump to another one from there. That's not exactly what you're asking for, but will accomplish the same goal while taking less screen space.

Miro

Quote from: arlo on January 04, 2018, 08:27:17 AM
I see what you're asking for with your screen shot, but how is that related to selecting documents through device linking?
In every song I would like to have attached document which I can select and deselect. It is possible on first tablet, but not transferred to second tablet.
Quote from: arlo on January 04, 2018, 08:27:17 AM
BTW, to achieve what you're asking for with your screen shot, you can click the set list name at the top of the set list view to show a popup of all the set lists, then jump to another one from there. That's not exactly what you're asking for, but will accomplish the same goal while taking less screen space.
In my idea, when scrolling (lets say via midi) sets, you immediately see al songs. Its more clear.
Maybe it is due to my english, I can not express very well what I want to tell :)
Miro

arlo

In every song I would like to have attached document which I can select and deselect. It is possible on first tablet, but not transferred to second tablet

You should set up your layout so that when you select a song, its document is also displayed (this is the default in most layouts). Then the song selection will be transmitted to the other devices and will display the documents there, too.

There's no function to "deselect" a document. Are you talking about switching in and out of full-screen display?

Maybe it would help to describe your current setup and explain what problem you're experiencing.

Miro

Quote from: arlo on January 04, 2018, 01:08:29 PM
You should set up your layout so that when you select a song, its document is also displayed (this is the default in most layouts). Then the song selection will be transmitted to the other devices and will display the documents there, too
Well, but I want to have more docs in one song, so that I could select any of them an they would be visible in bouth tablets.

Quote from: arlo on January 04, 2018, 01:08:29 PM
Maybe it would help to describe your current setup and explain what problem you're experiencing.
OK. I use BH in specific way to achieve something simlilar I described in Picture above. So SONG is a set at me - in 1 SONG pdf file I have all songs of 1 set, one by one. Short names of all songs in one set are in name of song, so in setlist I have qick view to all songs.
Example names of SONGS:
SONG1     "polka1 - polka2 - polka3 - polka4 - polka5 - polka6"
SONG2     "polka7 - polka8 - polka9 - polka9 - polka10 - polka11"
SONG3     "polka12 - polka13 - polka14 - polka15 - polka16 - polka17"
Now, i want to have some waltzes, that can be selected anytime during any SONG. So i would create document "Waltzes". This same doc would be asociated to every SONG, so that during any polka set I can qickly switch to waltz.

arlo

You're really working against the structure of the app instead of working with it ... trying to use a set list as a list of set lists, and use a song as a list of songs. The best advice I can offer is to use the app elements for what they are: a song is a song, a set list is a collection of songs, a document contains info about one song. This structure is quite flexible and you shouldn't have to repurpose the elements to get what you want.

In your case, I think clicking the set list name at the top of the set list view to switch between set lists would give you what you need, and would be so much easier than what you're doing now.

Miro

Quote from: arlo on January 05, 2018, 12:35:41 AM
You're really working against the structure of the app instead of working with it ...
I know :)
Dont worry, BH is so flexibile so it can be used  in many ways. That is why I decided to use it!

Quote from: arlo on January 05, 2018, 12:35:41 AM
The best advice I can offer is to use the app elements for what they are: a song is a song, a set list is a collection of songs, a document contains info about one song.
Maybe I will do it, just there are som details now that forse me to do it differently.
By the way, when using it the right way, maybe a button and midi command "NEXT SET" would help me.