Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Song selection via Midi.

Started by sound connect, January 07, 2018, 06:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound connect

Hello. I have searched but can't seem to find what I am looking for. Is there a way to send a Song Selection command via midi? I see options for scrolling forward and backwards and launching recordings but no option for a simple song selection, as in tapping on the song... I suppose I am looking for a launch command. I hope this makes sense. I have the song sending some midi commands which works fine when I tap it to select on the screen, but I was hoping to launch it from a midi pedal. Thank you in advance.

arlo

Yes, you can select a song either from a MIDI Song Select message or a MIDI Program Change message sent into the app. On the Settings > Remote Control page, you can set MIDI Song Number to Song Select, or set MIDI Program Number to Program Change. Then edit your songs and enter the song number or program change number that you want to use to select each song.

Song Select messages are limited to 0-127. Program Change messages are limited to 0-127 per bank, but can have multiple banks.

sound connect

Thank you Arlo. You have no idea how much I have struggled for years  to find an interface for Ableton. Something that simply displays the songs and scrolls to the next track. I have tried MainStage but that only lets you work in Master mode, and unfortunately Ableton in Slave mode won't sent out midi. I have been trying so hard to find something that works and now I am incorporating the Setlist Helper app into everything. Ableton will only start from midi note changes so I was able to learn those into your program. There are still a few bugs to work out but I am so happy I have finally found something that lets me view my set in big letters and allows me to scroll and select what song I want to play, rearrange song order, and send out commands to start the song. It seems like such a simple concept yet you seem to be the only one that has implemented it. So my idea is to set the app to launch the song on the second tap command. I have it set to auto scroll to next song, which I am assuming would count as the first tap. Then send a program change to start the song (second tap). You adding the two tap toggle is a very nice touch, and is well thought out. Allows you to scroll without launching. This would seem to be the most logical way to work on stage and allows me to not  touch anything. I just have to glance  at the iPad just to see what song is about to be launched. Believe me when I say you have lifted a huge weight off my shoulders as I could not seem to find anything to do what I wanted and I didn't think I was asking too much. Well done.

arlo

sound connect

However Arlo. I still think a simple launch the  highlighted song function is missing. Going through everything I won't be able to send a play/launch command and launch a selected song effortlessly. . I am not so great at articulating what I mean. But for example lets say someone has an AirTurn device with 4 buttons. The first two can scroll up and down but there seems to be no way to play or launch the selected clip  with the third button (we can call this button "play" or "launch"..) without physically tapping the device.. (is there?). I would have the same problem with midi. I can scroll up and down but have no way to launch the selected clip unless I happen to have access to a button that would send that particular selected song number... So I can't just launch a simple play command or simulate the tap on song command. I hope all of this makes sense. It is the only thing I can think of that is missing from making it do everything anyone could need. Of course this is in no way meant to be a criticism it is just another line of roadblocks I have faced trying to interface with Ableton. Thanks again.

arlo

One of the remote control actions you can assign to a foot switch is Reselect Current Song. Is that what you're looking for? This is useful if you assign two foot switch buttons to Select Next Song and Select Previous Song, and you assign your layout actions to Song Second Selection.

sound connect

YEEESSS. That is exactly what I am looking for. Is that midi assignable? If not I will just get a 4 button air turn and be done with it.

arlo

Yes, it's MIDI assignable, with a control change or note message.

Clas

Hello. I am trying to do the same thing, select a song in setlist from my sequencer cakewalk sonar. Midi is working since I got page scrolling to work but not song selection. I tried to set the values in the corresponding song to 0,0,3 and send program change from CW with the same values, did not work. Then I did a midi preset in Setlist with values 0,0,3 and send it to CW and recorded the midi message. A little suprising the recorded value then in CW was 0,32,3. Okej, tried to send that same message back to setlist, did not work. Does somebody have a clue how to get this working in cakewalk ?

arlo

When you send the program change from Cakewalk, what appears in Set List Maker's activity log? (Click the MIDI icon in the top toolbar to see that.)

Clas

Hi. It ended up with a lot of trial and error. Finally got it working, in CW it is called Patch change and settings has to be = Bank Selection Method Normal, Bank --- and Patch 0-127 and in Setlist 0,0,1. 0,0,2 and so on, Thanks anyway for your reply, now I can take this app to the next level. Very very smooth for me playing live with backingtracks in CW.

Clas

It is just one last thing. When I put song nr 5 in CW it takes song nr 4 in Setlist. I´ve tried both settings in setlist 0-127 and 1-128 but it reacts the same way. I can live with that but it would be nice to get it to choose same number.

arlo

The app doesn't currently have a way to specify the numbering style for incoming program changes. My app numbers from 0-127, so if Cakewalk numbers from 1-128 you'll have to add one to the numbers you enter in Cakewalk.

sound connect

Ok. After fighting a ridiculous Line 6 helix controller for the last week, I have everything working. I was trying to scroll next and previous songs with CC messages, but every time a patch was changed on the helix it would resend a scroll up cc message. I was pulling my hair out thinking there was some kind of midi in and out loop. The activity monitor helped quite a bit. I ended up using a note change message and now everything works. I can't tell you how relieved I am. I still think a simple play and stop button that is midi assignable would make the program perfect. Although I am not complaining as it works fine with the reselect song toggle. The stop button would be useful on stage in case you select the wrong song and want to stop it during the count in. It would be very useful for someone who interfaces with a Daw as I do. Can even call it a panic button. Other than that I am very pleased. I have the songs scrolling up and down via a midi pedal and a bluetooth pedal. and can select the song pain free. I have been waiting forever and now I can do it. Thank you Arlo.

iguana

Quote from: sound connect on January 20, 2018, 08:53:42 PM
Ok. After fighting a ridiculous Line 6 helix controller for the last week, I have everything working. I was trying to scroll next and previous songs with CC messages, but every time a patch was changed on the helix it would resend a scroll up cc message. I was pulling my hair out thinking there was some kind of midi in and out loop. ....

Not really SLM related, but if you have both MIDI In and MIDI out hooked up on your Helix, check the Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo >MIDI Thru setting (on the Helix). What you described would be expected behavior if that setting is On.