Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

How is the End of the song computed in regartds to triggering a layout event?

Started by Papa John, December 14, 2017, 06:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa John

How is the End of the song computed in regartds to triggering a layout event?

I'm setting up a new layout and I want the next song to appear and have the automation track start playing as soon as the previous song is completed?  How is that moment defined?  Is it:

• When the duration has elapsed?
  • When the audio file gets done?
  • When the little "END" item shows up in the automation track?

I think I read somewhere that there is a hierarchy, but I can't seem to find that.  Does anyone know the actual answer?

arlo

It will be the end of the recording or the end of the automation track, whichever is longer. If there is neither, it will be the end of the song duration.

Papa John

Thanks....

So if I have a song with a long acapella outro, I just need to lenghten the audio track with silence.  This was driving me nuts because the song was changing while I was still singing!

Papa John

Arlo,

Actually, I need one more clarification...

What signifies the "end" of an automation track.  It seems there is an "end" marker that is added simply when I stop recording the automation track. Is it that or is it after the last event?

You CANNOT manually set the end marker to a specific time. 

So there are many times I go back in and re-record an automation track just to adjust something near the beginning.  Suddenly the "end" marker is one minute into the song.  That really needs to be something I can set manually so I don't have to go through the entire song just to add one thing into the automation track.

Oh and one last request... in your next release, can you please show minutes and seconds, not just seconds when editing an automation event?  It's a pain to have to calculate how many seconds four minutes and 46 seconds adds up to.  Thanks.

-John

arlo

The end of an automation track is defined as the location of the end marker. So if you're using automation tracks with recordings, you can set the end marker later rather than adding silence to the end of your recording.

The end marker should always be after the last event. If you need to move it even later, you CAN edit its time like other events.

I'll put changing the time stepper to show MM:SS.sss on my to do list.

arlo

The new app version released today shows the times as minutes:seconds.milliseconds in the automation track edit window.

Ahiru

QuoteThe new app version released today shows the times as minutes:seconds.milliseconds in the automation track edit window.

Thanks, this will be helpful when editing automation events.  A related "how to"...

Is there a way to display the elapsed time since the a recording started on a layout?  I know the recording widget shows time remaining (which is great for performance), but is it possible to display the 'opposite' time measurement somehow?
(This would help with automation event editing, so you could easily determine without calculations "I need to move that MIDI event or scroll event to a bit after 2:47", and thus avoid brute-force re-recording for edits like this)

arlo

You can change the timer on the recording button:

Settings > Audio & MIDI > Recording Timer Direction = Up / Down

Ahiru

Thanks Arlo, I didn't see that.

(It would be nice if I could make it count down for performances, but have one that counts up for edits, rehearsals, etc... e.g. behavior choice associated with a Layout... but indeed I can just change it depending on what I'm doing at the time)

arlo