Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

MIDI thru routing and multiple devices

Started by sibster, February 11, 2018, 04:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sibster

Hi there

Please bear with me if I am asking daft noob questions...

I am trying to work out what configuration of what devices will have me setup with Bandhelper and my Beatbuddy the way I would like.

I've been pondering this for quite a while but not sure how I would setup with Bandhelper or if another physical device would be best to act as some form of midi hub

Basically I was looking at devices to control my tempo and the volume (dynamically) from the Beatbuddy. Bandhelper does all the other program and control changes I need I think (although sometimes I do wonder if a footswitch might be easier to work with in live performances)

I think the volume thing is not a midi question and will require a stereo volume pedal on the Beatbuddy output jacks.

So I had been considering the tech21 midi mouse for tempo. This has a midi output only.
Currently my Beatbuddy is connected to Bandhelper on iPad using a wireless Yamaha MD-BT01. my assumption is that for this combo to work I would need the midi mouse to output to Bandhelper, then Bandhelper to pass thru those midi messages to the Beatbuddy, but how would I actually connect everything up and how would I setup Bandhelper? What am I missing?

Would I need wired midi from midi mouse to iPad/Bandhelper? Then wireless in/out to/from Beatbuddy? Could I use the MD-BT01 connected to midi in on Beatbuddy and then simultaneously the out connected from the midi mouse? That sounds kind of wrong..... Plus as I say I don't know if Bandhelper can manage all this or not or whether I need some sort of other midi hub device

All help greatly appreciated!

arlo

The home page for that Midi Mouse only talks about sending program changes. Before buying that, you should ask the manufacturer if it can send any control change messages instead.

If BandHelper is already sending MIDI to the BeatBuddy, I think it would be easier to add a Tempo Up and Tempo Down MIDI preset to BandHelper, then trigger those with any MIDI or Bluetooth foot switch like the examples shown in the Remote Controllers section on this page:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/hardware.html

This thread discusses some options for how to create those Up and Down presets:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1794.msg7703.html#msg7703

You could then attach the Up/Down presets to your layout (rather than to every song) and map the foot switch to the Layout MIDI 1 Send and Layout MIDI 2 Send on the Settings > Remote Control page.

sibster

Thanks Arlo. I've read that twice now and still not entirely sure I get it. I think I need to re read in the morning with a clear head!

If I have understood the only downside is I'm tying myself to the iPad for the tempo changes...

arlo

You said you wanted to "control the tempo dynamically." If by that you mean pressing a foot switch to set a tap tempo, you could do that with BeatBuddy's own foot switch accessory, which doesn't use MIDI at all, it's just an electric switch. Or if you mean by pressing one switch to increase the tempo and another to decrease the tempo, you'd need either a different MIDI foot switch that is fully programmable to send multiple control change messages from each button -- or you'd need to control BandHelper with a foot switch and control the BeatBuddy with BandHelper. I hope that makes sense.