Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Recording Volume, Automation and Highlighting Lyrics oh my......

Started by Moon Dog, February 19, 2018, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moon Dog

Greetings Bandhelpers....

So I have been working many many hours with BandHelper making the final surge to get off SLM and full time on Bandhelper.
It has been a ton of work, BUT I see immediate value and it is absolutely the right thing to do. Anyone that is hedging, I could give you a long list of very good reasons to make the move.....but thats for another thread.

As usual, I know I don't know everything and Arlo proves that almost every time I post and so I continue to post as I want to continue to master BH.

So here goes.

#1. Why can't the recording volume attribute be controlled from the BH Website? This one to me seems to be something that could be possible and maybe you can, I just don't see it and its not fun adjusting the volume on a 120 songs one at a time on my iPad.

#2. Would it be possible to create the automation tracks from the Website? You have the Recording there that you can play, you have the midi presets there. I realize you would need the Automation interface on the website but to me this would be really cool and really help streamline my workflow.

#3. I have used the Highlight Lyrics capability. Its cool BUT the fact that the chart moves to put the highlighted lyrics to the middle of the screen is really disruptive to my seeing the chart. I would love it if it Just highlighted the Lyrics where they happen to be at the time they are highlighted. Maybe toggle the snap to center of screen as on or off????

Since I am on a role...

#4. I imported those 120+ songs from SetListMaker.....to BandHelper. Pretty amazing Arlo. BUT, somehow someway one of my songs did not get imported. I don't know why.... What would be really great is the ability to export just one song from SET LIST MAKER and import it into BandHelper. I spent a few hours with the .plist files and attempted to pair that down to just one song but after repeated failures to import, I ran out of time.

I love Bandhelper and it is an amazing solution for all of us. Thank you Arlo for your genius and insight.

arlo

It has been a ton of work, BUT I see immediate value and it is absolutely the right thing to do. Anyone that is hedging, I could give you a long list of very good reasons to make the move.....but thats for another thread.

Thanks for your support! :-)

#1. Why can't the recording volume attribute be controlled from the BH Website? This one to me seems to be something that could be possible and maybe you can, I just don't see it and its not fun adjusting the volume on a 120 songs one at a time on my iPad.

Theoretically it could, but I don't know if there is a way to preview the volumes from a website, and you wouldn't be performing from the website anyway, so it's best to preview from the mobile device that you're performing from ... so I didn't think it was worth the effort to include that in the website.

#2. Would it be possible to create the automation tracks from the Website? You have the Recording there that you can play, you have the midi presets there. I realize you would need the Automation interface on the website but to me this would be really cool and really help streamline my workflow.

So much of what you would do in an automation track can't be done on the website that I don't think it's worth attempting to create automation tracks from there. Maybe only the timing could be edited there, but you wouldn't be able to play back the automation tracks to preview your changes, so I don't think that would be worth it.

#3. I have used the Highlight Lyrics capability. Its cool BUT the fact that the chart moves to put the highlighted lyrics to the middle of the screen is really disruptive to my seeing the chart. I would love it if it Just highlighted the Lyrics where they happen to be at the time they are highlighted. Maybe toggle the snap to center of screen as on or off????

I'll add that to my wish list.

#4. I imported those 120+ songs from SetListMaker.....to BandHelper. Pretty amazing Arlo. BUT, somehow someway one of my songs did not get imported. I don't know why.... What would be really great is the ability to export just one song from SET LIST MAKER and import it into BandHelper. I spent a few hours with the .plist files and attempted to pair that down to just one song but after repeated failures to import, I ran out of time.

You could add a new Set List Maker database, then copy that one song from one Set List Maker database to the other, then import that database. You'd want to delete the default layouts first. I'm not sure if that would be easier than just adding the missing song. I'm also happy to look at your import file and find out what happened to that song, if you submit a help ticket.

Moon Dog

Thanks Arlo...you are right about needing to hear what you are doing with the volume, but, I could easily see it being of value being able to see what they actually are on the website. You can see everything else under history..but not the volume. One reason to do this is to check to see that none are at 100%...when I add new backing tracks sometimes I forget to lower the volumes and that is bad live...I could check quicker on the website.

Once last thing.....I find myself tweaking things alot...so I use the Edit function when practicing a lot...again for me the thing that takes me so long is to tweak the volumes. If I could do that from the Edit page I would be in heaven.
Now I have to:
< back
< back
< back
Select Recordings
Use Letters to get close
Scroll to my song
Select Song
change the volume
< back
Select Set Lists
Select a Set List
Select a Layout
Scroll to my song
Select my song....

whew. 14 picks and clicks per volume change....

Well on my personal wish list...this is #1 For me and I hope others read this and chime in....

Thanks for being so awesome Arlo.

Jeff

arlo

Thanks Arlo...you are right about needing to hear what you are doing with the volume, but, I could easily see it being of value being able to see what they actually are on the website. You can see everything else under history..but not the volume. One reason to do this is to check to see that none are at 100%...when I add new backing tracks sometimes I forget to lower the volumes and that is bad live...I could check quicker on the website.

You can see that on the Account > History page of the website. I just tried it. I also just added a Recording filter to show only changes to recordings on that page.

Once last thing.....I find myself tweaking things alot...so I use the Edit function when practicing a lot...again for me the thing that takes me so long is to tweak the volumes. If I could do that from the Edit page I would be in heaven.

From the set list view, click the edit icon in the bottom toolbar, then click the recording name, then change the volume, then click Save in the second popup, then Save in the first popup.

Moon Dog

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thank you Arlo.......

I am speechless.

Jeff

arlo