Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Solved! Display resolution suddenly changed - Android

Started by pheldal, March 03, 2018, 06:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pheldal

My tablet, a Samsung Tab A (SM-T580) that used to register as a 800x1200 display in layouts now suddenly register as 686x1097 and old layouts have become unavailable. When an old layout is opened in the editor, elements that used to be on the right side of the screen have disappeared. An attempt to add those back in fails as the elements are unavailable in the menu (already used). I suspect the software tries to render them off screen, uncontrollable.

I discovered this today. Haven't used BH for a few days, but the change must have happened recently. The firmware on the tablet has not been updated since last December.  None of the screen-resolutions registered above are correct for this display btw. My tablets specifications say that it should be 1200x1920. Luckily it was only rehearsal today. I'd hate to be caught on a stage with no usable layouts.

I don't yet know if devices other than my tablet are affected.

Also registered as ticket #19139.

arlo

My tablet, a Samsung Tab A (SM-T580) that used to register as a 800x1200 display in layouts now suddenly register as 686x1097 and old layouts have become unavailable.

Hmm, I've never seen that and have no idea why that would happen.

An attempt to add those back in fails as the elements are unavailable in the menu (already used).

They are faded in the menu to show they are already in the layout, but you can still select them to re-add them at the new location.

None of the screen-resolutions registered above are correct for this display btw. My tablets specifications say that it should be 1200x1920.

That's probably double resolution, which means the equivalent screen size of 600x960, but that doesn't match either the old size or the new size you mentioned.

Luckily it was only rehearsal today. I'd hate to be caught on a stage with no usable layouts.

You can always click Help > Utilities > Load Default Layouts to add a complete set of default layouts for your current screen size.

Also registered as ticket #19139.
[/quote

I'll see if I can glean anything from the history of your existing layouts.

pheldal

Just a quick followup to include things from the ticket dialog:

My tablet had been upgraded from Android 6.1 to 7.0 between the time the layouts for the tablet were created and this problem occured. That may account for screen resolutions being reported differently, but doesn't explain why the old layouts suddenly became unavailable. That happened sometime within a week in which there were no updates to the operating-system, but there was a minor bugfix-release issued for Bandhelper.

Where does Bandelper get the reported screen resolution from? The values reported for this particular tablet (SM-T580) in Bandhelper (800x1200 or  686x1097) make no sense at all. Everywhere else I look I see either the displays native resolution of 1200x1920 or half that.

I know it is easy to add a set of default-layouts from the menu, but it isn't always easy to find functions one only use once every leap-year or so in a flash under stress  ;)

I'd be interested to hear from others if anyone else have similar experiences.

-------------

BTW, I still think the organisation of layouts need some consideration. The list gets horribly long when the app is used in a group of 10 or more people, maybe each using both a smartphone and a tablet. Some more default filtering focusing on ones own layouts with an option to show either layouts for devices with matching resolution or all layouts would be nice. I would also prefer to be able to organise and select layouts in matching pairs (portrait/landscape) with auto-swap. Finally I'd like to avoid having to choose layout every time I open a set-list. It is so seldom that I swap for another one that I'd rather have to go into the layout menu to make a selection when that it necessary. With more than one matching layout available for the device it is also an annoying delay to have to drop back to the menu if I happen to tap the wrong one.

arlo

The list gets horribly long when the app is used in a group of 10 or more people, maybe each using both a smartphone and a tablet. Some more default filtering focusing on ones own layouts with an option to show either layouts for devices with matching resolution or all layouts would be nice.

On the Repertoire > Layouts page, you can click the search icon and filter the list to show only layouts assigned to you. These filters are persistent, meaning you can set it and leave it if you want to always show the list this way. On the Repertoire > Set Lists > [set list name] page, that filter is hard-coded, so the list only shows layouts assigned to you.

I would also prefer to be able to organise and select layouts in matching pairs (portrait/landscape) with auto-swap.

You can select a layout in one orientation, then rotate and select a layout in the other orientation, and the app will save the last-used layout in each orientation. Then if you rotate while viewing a set list, the app will switch between those two.

Finally I'd like to avoid having to choose layout every time I open a set-list. It is so seldom that I swap for another one that I'd rather have to go into the layout menu to make a selection when that it necessary.

The app used to work that way, but then few people were aware of the layout options or even of the concept of multiple layouts. Currently the app will show a little dot next to your last-used layout, so if you're using the same layout every time, you can just click the layout with the dot. You can also delete or deactivate layouts you don't need to shorten the list ... so if you only ever use two layouts, for example, you can shorten the list down to those two and then making a selection won't require much mental effort.

pheldal

Mystery solved!  Some Android apps, Bandhelper included, use a calculated resolution/screen-density that is based on the zoom-level and fonts selected in the Screen-section in Android-preferences. When the zoom-level is changed Bandhelper will register a different screen-resolution and layouts created at a different zoom-level will no longer match the device. This is also the reason why the x/y-resolution associated with layouts often does not match the displays physical resolution.

So, if your layouts in Bandhelper "disappear" (become unavailable) on an Android device, check if you have changed zoom and/or font in screen-settings.

arlo

On my Google tablet, this setting is at Display > Display Size (in the Android Settings app).

It's okay to change this setting, but that will change your effective screen resolution, so it will require a different set of layouts sized for that resolution. You can either create these layouts manually, or with the Help > Utilities > Load Default Layouts button.