Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

How do I configure BandHelper to send controller messages to a Mac OS app?

Started by uzoo, March 11, 2018, 03:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uzoo

I am new to BandHelper, started using it yesterday. Amazing so far. Could be a game-change for our live shows!

MY ISSUE: (Here's a video to visually explain my issue. https://youtu.be/7CFKWT-glIY)
I need to traverse Guitar Rig 5 (GR5) presets. And I am able to traverse songs in BandHelper setlists. But GR5 is not responding.

I did test BandHelper midi presets and I can get GR5 to switch to specific presets. But I must able to simply traverse GR5 presets with next/previous functionality.

MY SETUP:
I have connected to an iConnectMidi4 ...
» A MIDI foot controller.
» An iPad running BandHelper.
  BandHelper is set up to listen on MIDI channel 16.
» An iMac running Guitar Rig 5.
  GR5 is set up to listen on MIDI channel 1.

The MIDI foot controller remote controls BandHelper and sends CC80 (prev) and CC81 (next) on MIDI channel 16. BandHelper is configured so that "previous song" and "next song" use CC80 and CC81 respectively. This works great.

GR5 is expecting CC20 (prev) and CC21 (next) on MIDI channel 1 to traverse presets. How do I configure BandHelper to send those controllers to GR5 when traversing BandHelper setlists?

I created a video to help visually explain my problem.
I am new to BandHelper, started using it yesterday. Amazing so far. Could be a game-change for our live shows!

MY ISSUE:
I need to traverse Guitar Rig 5 (GR5) presets. And I am able to traverse songs in BandHelper setlists. But GR5 is not responding.

I did test BandHelper midi presets and I can get GR5 to switch to specific presets. But I must able to simply traverse GR5 presets with next/previous functionality.

MY SETUP:
I have connected to an iConnectMidi4 ...
» A MIDI foot controller.
» An iPad running BandHelper.
  BandHelper is set up to listen on MIDI channel 16.
» An iMac running Guitar Rig 5.
  GR5 is set up to listen on MIDI channel 1.

The MIDI foot controller remote controls BandHelper and sends CC80 (prev) and CC81 (next) on MIDI channel 16. BandHelper is configured so that "previous song" and "next song" use CC80 and CC81 respectively. This works great.

GR5 is expecting CC20 (prev) and CC21 (next) on MIDI channel 1 to traverse presets. How do I configure BandHelper to send those controllers to GR5 when traversing BandHelper setlists?

Thanks,
Chris

arlo

You could create two MIDI presets, to send the CC 20 and 21 messages, then attach those to your layout, and configure two buttons on your foot controller to trigger Layout MIDI Presets 1 & 2. But with that setup, there's not much advantage over just making your foot controller send the messages directly to the Guitar Rig software.

Another option, instead of going next/previous through your Guitar Rig presets, is to create MIDI presets in BandHelper that select the presets you're using in Guitar Rig, then attach to each song in BandHelper only the presets you're using for that song. Then you can select just from that subset of presets that are actually needed for that song. You can select them in various ways: by mapping foot switch buttons to each preset attached to a song, or by clicking named buttons on the screen, or by placing the used presets in sequence for the song (you can attach the same preset multiple times, so you could sequence them like verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, etc) and then stepping through them with a Next MIDI Preset action.

More info is here:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

uzoo

Thanks Arlo, I ended up creating 70 midi presets, one per song.  :o