Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Select next song at end of the song

Started by mibmusic, April 27, 2018, 12:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mibmusic

Hi, I recently bought SLM to send MIDI program changes to a Roland SPD-SX and it works very good. First I just tried the song select message but the SPD-SX does only except program changes. So after creating a MIDI preset per song it does what I want it to do. But now I am trying to send a PC at the end of a few songs, not after every song. I read about this feature but how can I use rhis feature? Can this be done for a few songs?

arlo

Do you mean you want a MIDI preset to be sent automatically at the end of a song, but not all songs? How would Set List Maker know when the song is over -- are you using backing tracks, or playing with a click track so the song duration is exactly the same every time? Or can you send the final preset manually with button press or foot switch? That would be simpler.

mibmusic

Hi Arlo, I use the Roland SPD-SX for backing tracks, guiding tracks and playing percussion. The length of songs with a backing tracks is always the same. It would be nice just to have SLM sent a second MIDI preset at the end of the defined song length (start can be the song select) and also, it would be great if SLM could just select the next song after a predefined time. When the SPD-SX plays a backing track it is possible to allready move to the next kit (song) without interrupting anything. As a drummer I use both arms and legs and between some songs I have 'no time' to press the next song (screen or foot switch) and launch the next track. I read there is a way to record your song and set MIDI presets during playback but that is more for guitarists or singers I think.

arlo

If you wanted to send the same preset at the end of every song, you could attach that preset to your layout, then edit your layout details to assign the Send Layout MIDI action to Song Completion.

But if you only want to do this at the end of some songs, then you'll have to record an automation track for those songs that sends the final MIDI presets at the end of the song duration. You would normally record automation tracks in real time, but in this case you could start recording, send your end-of-song presets, and stop recording, then edit the automation track to move the MIDI actions to the end of the song (that would be more efficient than waiting for the whole song to play). More info is here:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/performing.html#automation_tracks

mibmusic

I read what you describe and that is an option I will try. But since the app is called Setlist Maker I was hoping to find more options when building the setlist / show. All is now based on the settings per song. Thanks for your help!

mibmusic

Arlo, so when I use your first option, adding a MIDI preset to the layout and enable at end song, what will happen if I only enter th song lenght for a few songs?

mibmusic

Hmm, forget that, I am not sending anything, I just want to go to the next song.

arlo

I'm not sure what would happen if you assigned a layout action to Song Completion but didn't define a duration for the song -- I'd have to check on that. Meanwhile, you could just try it and see what happens. If it does nothing, then that could be a solution for you -- but then the app wouldn't be able to calculate set list lengths.

mibmusic

Hi Arlo, I think I need to find an other way. Sending presets at the end of a song is not ideal. If I get it to work I am sure I need to double check things. SLM will (my guess) still show the same song and the SPD-SX will show the next song. I will probably need to select the next song manually somewhere during the song. Perhaps in the future you can ad this as a feature. Auto-select the next song after a certain amount of time would probably help other people too.

arlo

You can auto-select the next song at the end of the song's defined duration. You had asked how send MIDI presets at the end of the song so that's what I was focusing on explaining.

mibmusic

I am so so sorry Arlo! That does exactly what I need and I was thinking way too difficult. It selects the next song at the end of the song duration and when that is not set then nothing happens. You just made my day!

arlo

Okay, if selecting the next song is what you want, then this is even better: when you want the next song NOT to be selected, add a pause to your set list. Then you can still enter durations for all the songs, so the set list lengths will be calculated. But when the "next song" is a pause, only the pause will be selected and nothing else will happen until you advance to the next song manually.

mibmusic

arlo