Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

BandHelper is sending MIDI program changes, but not CC's?

Started by uzoo, March 13, 2018, 04:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uzoo

I am using MIDI Monitor to view MIDI messages I am receiving.

I can see BandHelper sending the MIDI program changes I have defined in the MIDI presets.

However, it appears the MIDI CC's I have defined in the MIDI presets are not being sent.

[Update] It appears to send the MIDI CC's when entered as raw data, but not what I enter in the CC fields.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?   

arlo

My guess is that you've set a port for the MIDI device associated with those control changes, and the MIDI Monitor isn't connected to that port. I recommend leaving all the port settings set to All if you don't have a specific need to set those.

If that's not the problem, please submit a help ticket so I can see your setup:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

Dov64

I'm seeing a similar behavior.

I'm trying to control DrumPerfect Pro, which requires a single byte after the B8 for many of its control changes.

After experimenting for a while, I see that if I fill in only 1 of the fields for a CC, BandHelper reports sending nothing (it shows the square brackets with nothing between them - "[]").  If I add a code in the 2nd field (or the 1st if that's what I had left blank), BandHelper reports sending B8 then both codes.

The same 1 code works fine in the Raw Midi section of the preset.

I hope that helps!

arlo

After experimenting for a while, I see that if I fill in only 1 of the fields for a CC, BandHelper reports sending nothing (it shows the square brackets with nothing between them - "[]").  If I add a code in the 2nd field (or the 1st if that's what I had left blank), BandHelper reports sending B8 then both codes.

I don't know if that's the problem the original poster had, but I don't think a control change message would be valid with only one of the fields filled in, so you should always fill them both. If you're sending a simple "on" or "off" message and don't know what to put into the second field, you could use 0 for off and 127 for on.

Dov64

I've experimented further with my setup (Yamaha CP4 via Yamaha UD-BT01 Bluetooth MIDI, DrumPerfect Pro and BandHelper on my iPad Air 2 IOS 11.2.6).

I was merrily sending PC's and CC's to my CP4 with results as expected.

I sent PC's to DPP, and it responded as expected.

CC's to DPP produced no result at all.

Using MIDI Wrench (MW), I can start/stop DPP using CC 20 127 and CC 20 0. The same codes in BH don't produce any DPP reaction. Further, I saw no codes registering on the MW display.

I downloaded MultiFlow Monitor (MFM) and aimed BH at its port 1. Now CC's from BH show up in both MFM and MW, and they start stop DPP consistently.

It seems like this is a virtual midi port problem.

I'm going to submit a help ticket on this, but thought I would add my 2 cents to this thread.

Dov64

After experimenting for a while, I found a configuration that works seemingly 100% reliably:
1) In Drumperfect Pro, enable only the DrumPerfect virtual "MIDI destination" on a specific channel (I chose 10).
2) In DPP, disable all the corresponding "MIDI source" options, including "Network Session 1" and "BandHelper".
3) In BandHelper, create a MIDI Device with Port All (Arlo recommended so changes on the other side don't cause a problem) and your DPP channel.

;D

MikeyJ

Quote from: uzoo on March 13, 2018, 04:32:32 PM
I am using MIDI Monitor to view MIDI messages I am receiving.

I can see BandHelper sending the MIDI program changes I have defined in the MIDI presets.

However, it appears the MIDI CC's I have defined in the MIDI presets are not being sent.

[Update] It appears to send the MIDI CC's when entered as raw data, but not what I enter in the CC fields.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

I was having this exact issue and put in a support ticket. Arlo quickly responded saying:

"Please go to Settings > Audio & MIDI, click MIDI Preset Order, change the order if needed and click Save. That setting doesn't include Control Changes for some reason, but this will fix it."

For me, just opening and saving without making any changes solved the issue.

Hope this helps!