Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Color Category for Deposits

Started by LesStrangers, March 16, 2018, 05:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesStrangers

I'm trying to have my Deposit transactions appear in green. When I go to Categories, I'm able to select green as the default color, however, upon creating a deposit to my band fund, the transaction does not appear in green. 'Deposit' is a TYPE of transaction, and not really a category per se, so is that the issue? I'm able to make Expenses appear in red, so what could I possibly be missing?

arlo

Actually you can only set colors for transaction categories. Deposit, withdrawal and distribution transactions don't have categories, so you can't set the color for those.

Note that deposits and withdrawals would only be used in conjunction with funds, so they are not as commonly used as income and expenses, which you can create categories for.

LesStrangers

I coded my expense in RED, since I wrote the expense directly out of my Band Fund. So I thought it would be easy enough to make contribution transactions to the band fund be GREEN. But OK, that won't work. Thanks.

This does lead me to the question as to whether I should have posted a withdrawal to the band fund, received by me, to reimburse me for the expenses (and posting an expense transaction for me), rather than simply creating the expense from the band fund. But in doing so, it showed others as owing me money, which didn't make sense.

(We are another one of those bands that considers the band fund for general expenses of doing business, not a fund for assets of which players own a part of it).

arlo

I coded my expense in RED, since I wrote the expense directly out of my Band Fund. So I thought it would be easy enough to make contribution transactions to the band fund be GREEN. But OK, that won't work.

If you are depositing band income, like a check from a gig, directly into the band fund, the you could do the same thing by coloring the income category as green. But I don't think you'd want to limit your flexibility in how you enter your transactions based on a desire to have your list perfectly color coded.

This does lead me to the question as to whether I should have posted a withdrawal to the band fund, received by me, to reimburse me for the expenses (and posting an expense transaction for me), rather than simply creating the expense from the band fund.

If you are paying for something with your own money, then reimbursing yourself from the band fund, you should log that as an expense transaction paid by you, and a withdrawal transaction paid from the fund to you. If your fund is something that you can make payments directly from, like a checking account or a literal envelope of cash, then you could log a single transaction that is an expense paid by the fund. The end result on the Totals page should be the same either way. Does that help?

LesStrangers