Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

AIF Files Manually Uploaded...No More Sync

Started by Moon Dog, March 18, 2018, 01:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moon Dog

Hello Bandhelpers....just back from an amazing vacation in Peurto Vallarta....there is no such thing as too much sun or too much rum....just sayin.

A little history, with Set List Maker (SLM) all my audio/backing tracks were rendered as .aif files. Really great quality and fairly compact, average around 35 MB per song.
(The same song as a .mp3 is around 8 MB)

As you know with BandHelper the imports don't allow for files this large which was one of the reasons I was dragging my feet moving to BandHelper.

So I have done some shows with BH and all MP3's. Sounds pretty good but I can notice the difference in fidelity through my system.

Today I decided to Manually upload a backing track I just finished producing in my studio and it all worked perfect. I now have BH playing .aif files on my iPad. BUT WAIT!!! What about the Sync function and my 2 Backup iPads????

I checked and yes the reference to the .aif file did sync up and all my iPads had updated.....only one problem, the .aif file only exists on the iPad I manually uploaded the file to.

So the problem now is if I ever use my backup iPads I have to remember to go in and edit every song that has an .aif file on and switch it to play the .mp3 files OR manually upload the .aif file three times, once to each iPad for every song I decide that I don't want to give up on the sound quality.

This gets worse if I tell you about the band I am working with.....but I'll leave that for now.

All I can say is BandHelper is amazingly awesome.....except this flaw and with disk space so inexpensive anymore I don't really get it.  (100 songs @ 8MB per song is 800MB vs 35MB per song 100 songs would be 3500MB a little over 4X......that can't make that much difference can it?)

So my humble request to Arlo is:
Can I pay you more money per month for more disk space and be allowed to upload .aif files that will then sync? 

arlo

The problem is not disk space, it's the practicality of syncing multiple gigabytes of uncompressed audio files over the Internet. You can try this and if your Internet connection and your patience are up to it, fine. But it might be faster and easier to copy the files directly to your devices through USB.

In the latter case, I would keep a folder of all the .aifs on my computer so I can easily update each device through iTunes File Sharing from that folder. You can also look for disabled icons in the Repertoire > Recordings list to quickly spot any files that are not loaded onto a device.

I wouldn't bother uploading both MP3 and AIF files and switching between them, but if you wanted to, you could very easily do that by changing Settings > General Settings > Defaults > Recording from 1 to 2 and back again.