Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

iPad sending Midi over Lightning?

Started by Garethla, April 14, 2018, 11:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garethla

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if Bandhelper will send Midi directly over Lightning through USB Connector (camera kit) ?  I have the ipad connected directly to my Line 6 Helix to change patches as i change songs but it does not appear to be receiving the commands?

Thanks

wakevortex

Absolutely....That works perfectly for me with the Helix  , AND brings up all helix audio channels in bandhelper as well
I actually use it without the cable , using a YAMAHA BT-01 Bluetooth midi adapter plugged into the back of the HELIX, which bandhelper sends the prog changes to via bluetooth

Check your Global/Midi settings in HELIX...I have attached a screenshot of mine (both pages)

hope that helps !

Bill P

wakevortex

Garethla

Thanks!
Have have those set correctly but thing the midi presets in bandhelper are not correct.
Could you send me a screen shot of one of yours?

Hugely appreciated!, been fighting with this all weekend

Regards
Gareth

wakevortex

here ya go..I have moved up from the VOICELIVE3 to the HELIX, so the voicelive refs are the prog changes the helix is now responding to...(they were already in bandhelper from the voicelive gig setup I made)
I just made sure my presets are all in the first bank in the helix  from 000 onwards
have  also worked out how to send SNAPSHOT changes from Bandhelper to Helix which I can help you with if you need it after this bit is working ...that means the helix can switch snapshots during songs...v cool !

this screenshot is the midi PRESETS page setup in bandhelper

Bill P

wakevortex

I think the ZERO is critical (for bank ) ) then the patches increment with the second number

Garethla

Thanks for your help !

I think i sm missing something fundamental here lol. Does the hex code need to be added like in your screen shot?

I was in bank/setlist 1 and set up Program change exactly like yours. The atached shows the messages being sent but no cigar on helix changing patches%

Would Love to get snapshot changes mid song!

wakevortex

hmm
maybe Arlo will check in here

those hex code numbers went in during my voicelive 3  setup when i set bandhelper to MIDI LEARN ...each preset change puts a different hex code in there
I haven't changed them from then , they just translated to the helix bank 1 .....
maybe worth playing with Midi Learn?
Hopefully Arlo can clarify !
Will see if I can put in writing what I did for setting up snapshots on the helix when I get a chance

Bill P

Garethla

Thanks Bill Appreciate it!

Arlo, could you way in ere when you get a chance. I attached a screenshot of the Helis settings for a particular patch. CC32 being the Setlist and the PC being the preset.

Thanks all! dying to get this working now!!!!

Bill, do Mid song Snapshot changes have anything to do with automation tracks in Bandhelper?

wakevortex

May have spoken too soon with the snapshot thing LOL
I certainly DID have it working during a test (so its possible) but cant seem to replicate it now

will do some research and let you know when I find what I had before :-)   but basically yes...each snapshot will respond to a midi message which is then added to the automation in bandhelper  to send that mid message at a particular point in the song

Once I iron out the gremlins , will post back !

Bill P

Garethla

LOL,, excellent,,, Well I got it working!!!! all it took was to restart Bandhelper for some reason and bang!
In the attached Snapshot for example the Preset changes to Setlist 4 - Preset 4 (1D) Below that, the CC setting controls which snapshot on that preset ...so here i have selected preset 1D which Snapshot 3.....

The only snag is when I change song it only triggers the Program Change, not the CC, if i hit the midi button on bandhelper it then triggers the CC change and changes the snapshot.... I am sure there is some tweaking to fix that . I am sure i saw a setting in Bandhelper that asks what order you want tp send Midi : Program Changes; CC's....

But delighted to at least have the one thing working! Its going to reduce my toe tapping between songs immensely.

wakevortex

Good work!!  ...seems you have also nearly cracked the snapshot issue at the same time !

will try your findings to see if that solves the snapshot issue  ( if the CC issue can be sorted)

cheers

Bill P

Garethla

I will keep trying as well.. there must be a way!

Cheers
Gareth

wakevortex

Just had a play..... looks to me like helix is ignoring the cc 69 value (snapshot) when forced to a program changed by bandhelper , it just happens to change to whatever snapshot was saved with the preset.....
A puzzle indeed .... 

BP

Garethla

Yep, weird .
If you add the midi button to your layout you can...
- select a song which changes the patch
- then hit the midi button on that song and it triggers the CC change to change the snapshot but for the life of me i cannot get both to trigger once a song is selected.

On the plus side i have been playing with the Automation feature and it works to trigger midi events mid song! Only tested it without helix connected will run tests tomorrow