Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

iPad sending Midi over Lightning?

Started by Garethla, April 14, 2018, 11:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iguana

Quote from: wakevortex on April 15, 2018, 11:01:44 AM
Just had a play..... looks to me like helix is ignoring the cc 69 value (snapshot) when forced to a program changed by bandhelper , it just happens to change to whatever snapshot was saved with the preset.....
A puzzle indeed .... 

BP

I use BH on a Droid to control my Helix, and I also had an issue trying to select a snapshot on preset load. Keep in mind that the Helix has a short delay when loading a new preset. It seems that the CC69 can before the Helix is finished switching presets, and gets ignore (or simply does not have an effect).

The solution was to add a delay between sending the PC and the CC. In BH, go into MIDI settings and change  the
second "...with Delay Between" value to 0.2

Garethla

Brilliant thanks. Makes sense I will give it a go this evening! That helix delay explains why the CC69 works if I hit the Mid button after the preset has changed. Look forward to testing this!

arlo

The Raw MIDI messages that appeared when using MIDI Learn are all undefined in the MIDI spec except the last one, which is General Purpose Slider 2. So I don't know what those are, but it sounds like they're not needed.

wakevortex

Thanks Iguana

just tried this and it NEARLY works.... I tried various delays in sending the CC , and I can see helix actually switching to the snapshot sent by th ecc69 value  , but then immediately flicking back to the one stored with the preset as before....
this sounds like a helix setting that needs to be changed....any ideas?

ARLO  thanks for that ...weird.... anyway I've started again and removed all the raw midi data and preset changing does still work, its just the CC problem to solve now :)

thanks again

Bill P

Garethla

Brilliant, It Works,,, adding the 2m/s delay did the trick. Thanks Iguana!

Bill,,,, be sure to use the bottom delay setting. (there are two)

wakevortex

Well thats REALLY odd..mine is flicking back to the program stored snapshot...I wonder if its a setting I have differently on the Helix...will investigate tomorrow !

good its working for you though ! !!

Bill P

Garethla

Weird. I can't think of any in helix that would cause that other than the Snapshot Discard Changes setting.

One other thing I change was the Midi Preset Order which I doubt makes a difference. I have Program Change 1st and Controller Change last (4th)

wakevortex

hmmm I DO have discard changes , but will also play with the order-   CC is second currently for me
will report back !

Bill P

iguana

wakevortex,

If you can log your MIDI, it might shed some light.

But, I suspect you are sending the PC message a second time. There's nothing on the Helix that would cause that behavior. (The Discard Changes setting - either way - wouldn't cause that.)

wakevortex

Eureka

it was indeed the position  of the CC change in the Midi Preset Order  sent by band helper

moving it from 2nd to 4th fixed it -     PC 1st  CC Last  as Garethia had done....how odd !

Well its working now LOLOL

thanks guys  !  - now for some automation programming ! :-)

Bill P

Garethla

Excellent!

Some great forum collaboration!

Thanks for your help folks. Appreciate it!

arlo

it was indeed the position  of the CC change in the Midi Preset Order  sent by band helper
moving it from 2nd to 4th fixed it -     PC 1st  CC Last  as Garethia had done....how odd !

If there's no raw data in your preset and no other presets attached to it, that shouldn't matter ... but if there are, that would extend the delay between the program change and the control change, because the "with delay between" setting is inserted after each element in the list. So that might be telling us that a longer delay than the .2 seconds mentioned above is needed between the program change and control change.

wakevortex

That's Odd Arlo , as I started again and there is NO raw midi data...simply a PC and a CC ....i did spot that after setting the delay, a restart of the app was necessary for it to "pick up " the new value .  Anyway it works now, and thats the main thing :-)

Bill p

arlo

I just checked and those changes should take effect as soon as you navigate from the settings page to one of the pages where you send MIDI.  ???