Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Setting up midi with Roland Jupiter 50 help !!!

Started by Andyuk, April 30, 2018, 03:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyuk

Hi
Just downloaded the app & seems great.

I have a Roland Jupiter 50 connected to an iPad with a apple camera adapter !
I basically want to create set lists on the set list maker and change the sounds on the Jupiter 50 with it !

I've set up the midi presets and inserted them into a song !
I've set the Jupiter 50 up to matching midi channel and bank select etc set to on but when I choose the song on the iPad nothing is changing on the Jupiter !
I've set the correct msb & lsb settings on the midi preset so not sure why it's not working.

Any help would be appreciated
Andy.

arlo

If you want the presets to be sent automatically when you select a song, you can set Layouts > [layout name] > Edit Details > Actions > Send MIDI to Song Selection. Does that help?

Andyuk

Thanks for your reply arlo

I'll try this, once I've done this does it need to be done for every song or is this a global setting ?

Andyuk

Hi arlo
Tried your suggestion and no luck !
Still not doing anything on the j50
Not sure if I've got all the settings right.

On sel list maker I've created a midi preset with the msb, lsb & program number that should change the registration on the j50  I've then created a song and added the midi preset into the song.
I've then added this to a show, when I'm in the show setting I press the song which if I'm right show then change the sou d on the j50 ????
But it doesn't do anything, any ideas or am I doing something wrong ????
Andy

arlo

Does the MIDI icon in the top toolbar blink when you select a song? If no, you're not actually sending MIDI and that's one set of troubleshooting that mainly involves getting Set List Maker set up.

If yes, you can click the icon to view the Activity Log and see what MIDI you're sending and then that's a different set of troubleshooting that mainly involves finding the right MIDI messages to send.

Andyuk

Yes the midi icon blinks when I select a song.
I'll have a look what midi messages are being sent and maybe take a snapshot so you can see & hopefully help.

Andyuk

I have attached a snapshot of the midi date been sent !
I'm not sure what it means, hopefully it makes sense to you
I tried 3 different songs and as you can see 3 sets of messages were sent but no change on the j50
Andy.

arlo

Those FFFFFF's don't look good. Please check what you have in the Bank LSB fields in your MIDI presets. It should be a number between 0 and 127.

Andyuk

Here are my midi preset entry's (all same msb & lsb settings, just different program change numbers to select different registrations on the j50

Bank msb 83
Bank lsb 0
Program 5

One thing I do notice is that the lsb setting according to the Jupiter manual should be 000
But when I input the 000 it changes on slm to 0
Same with msb manual says 083, when I input that changes to 83 !
Not sure if that makes a difference ???

Andyuk

Here are a few screenshots that may or may not help

Andyuk

Andyuk

arlo

The extra 0's aren't needed but shouldn't matter. I don't know what would cause all the F's in your output, but I think that's at least one problem. What happens when you clear the LSB field? That will delete any strange data you might have entered that is still there but isn't showing when you view the edit page.

If that doesn't help, please submit a help ticket so I can look directly at your data:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

Andyuk

Hi arlo
Well after re installing the app (in case it was corrupted) and a bit of tried & error I've sorted it 😀

Removing the 0 in the lsb stopped the fffffffff's
But still did not change any sounds on the j50

So I changed the msb to 84 instead of 83 as the manual says and it worked 😀😀
No more fffffff's and works like a charm.
So basically the whole problem seemed to be the msb one number out.
All set up now and no problems. Thank you for your help arlo & love the app ! It has saved me loads of time not having to re arrange sets on the keyboard 🎹 ✌🏻✌🏻✌🏻

arlo

It sounds like you might have your MIDI device set to use 1-128 numbering even though the numbering in the manual is 0-127. That could also explain the F's ... entering a 0 while set to use 1-128 numbering would be an invalid entry. If you change that back to 0-127, the numbering will match what's in the Roland user manual.