Main Menu
Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Chromebook

Started by Phil, April 30, 2018, 06:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Does BandHelper work on a fairly new Chromebook that supports the Android App Store?
It seems like a much cheaper way to get a 12.5" screen (about $450 for an Asus Chromebook Flip C302).

arlo

I have no experience with this, but I have run BandHelper in Bluestacks and I think this might be similar. Limitations might include...

- No MIDI in/out
- No device linking
- Some awkward or broken interactions due to using a touch-based app without a touchscreen

If you try it, let us know how it goes.

iguana

Quote from: Phil on April 30, 2018, 06:22:16 PM
Does BandHelper work on a fairly new Chromebook that supports the Android App Store?
It seems like a much cheaper way to get a 12.5" screen (about $450 for an Asus Chromebook Flip C302).

Phil,

I run BH on an old (really old!) Windows laptop that I've repurposed to run Android, via http://www.android-x86.org/  I don't know about how well it works for everything, but I've not run across any issues running BandHelper. I use MIDI and also run backing tracks...

If you've got an old laptop laying around and have any kind of tech skills, it might be worth trying.

The only caveat is that Android isn't particularly fast when running off hard drives. It was designed for solid state storage. That means install and updates are slow, as is booting. But once BH is up and running, even my ancient machine works well.

Cooldog

Quote from: iguana on May 01, 2018, 09:41:55 AM
Phil,

I run BH on an old (really old!) Windows laptop that I've repurposed to run Android, via http://www.android-x86.org/  I don't know about how well it works for everything, but I've not run across any issues running BandHelper. I use MIDI and also run backing tracks...

If you've got an old laptop laying around and have any kind of tech skills, it might be worth trying.

The only caveat is that Android isn't particularly fast when running off hard drives. It was designed for solid state storage. That means install and updates are slow, as is booting. But once BH is up and running, even my ancient machine works well.

Have you tried any MIDI functions?

iguana

Yup. MIDI is central to my rig's setup. I use a cheap USB to MIDI dongle to get the laptop talking to the rest of my equipment.

I haven't tried MIDI over USB, though.

arlo

Kevin

Quote from: Phil on April 30, 2018, 06:22:16 PM

Phil, did you (or anyone else reading this) ever try BandHelper on your "fairly new Chromebook"? I'm currently looking at a Lenovo 11.6-Inch Chromebook C330 (August 2018 release).

Thanks.

MauricioSilveira

Any updates on how BandHelper performs on CHromebook? Are there any features that don't work?