Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

MIDI Channel Weirdness

Started by MikeyJ, May 05, 2018, 04:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyJ

Hey All,

Here's what I've got going so far.:

TC Helicon VL3x
Fractal Audio AX8
Roland UM-One mk2
MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru

Using an iPad Mini 2 running iOS 11.13.1 with a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter for connectivity.

In SLM I have the VL3x and AX8 setup as separate MIDI Devices, both set to the port named "UM ONE" and on channels 1 and 2 respectively. The VL3x is set to receive on channel 1 and the AX8 is set to receive on channel 2.

I've created separate MIDI presets for changing each device independently as well as both simultaneously. When choosing a preset that should address only the VL3x, the AX8 will also receive MIDI info as it's MIDI indicator LED will light up, even though there is nothing defined in the MIDI preset for that device. I see the same behavior if I select the preset that should only address the AX8.

Is this expected behavior?

This being said, everything functions properly and the units respond as they should when receiving MIDI directed at them explicitly in the MIDI preset.

Thanks!

arlo

The way MIDI channels work is that all the data will still go to all the connected devices, but the devices will ignore data that it's not supposed to listen to. So it sounds like the indicator light is showing that data is coming in, even though it's coming in on a channel that the device isn't set to listen to. The manufacturers could have done it the other way and made the indicator not blink in that case. One could make an argument for either approach. Hopefully it helps to know how it's working and what exactly the indicator means.

MikeyJ