Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Import songs via Playlist (batch) causing duplicates

Started by ColGal, May 09, 2018, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColGal

If I create a new song or edit an old one, sync iPad with iTunes, delete 'old' songs from SLM Songs list, then import new/modified song into Setlist Maker, I'm also getting up to 4 or 5 different songs wanting to be added - although they are already existing in my songs/recordings/shows and were not changed in iTunes. If I import these 'duplicates', they are created as if new, while the 'existing' songs now have their recording button greyed out. I then have to delete them from Songs and then redo attaching of recordings etc for the 'new versions' of songs I already had previously. Any ideas?

arlo

First, I don't think it's a good approach to be deleting and re-importing songs, because that destroys all your past set lists. Once you've imported a song, it's best to make any updates to that song in Set List Maker, rather than deleting it and re-importing it.

Regarding importing duplicates, I'm not sure what you're describing ... you said you were deleting the songs, then re-importing them, but then you said "they are already existing in my songs/recordings/shows," which makes it sound like you didn't delete them. If you don't delete a song, but then re-import a modified version of it, Set List Maker will create a new song if the new data is different enough. Again, this could be avoided by using an import for the initial creation of a song, and making subsequent updates within the app.

ColGal

Thanks Arlo. Then I have 2 things.
Firstly, if I have changed my arrangement of my backing track for a song, and created an amended recording in iTunes (and deleted the old one from iTunes) and synced that with my iPad, then to change the recording attached to my existing song in my SLM database, should the procedure be - tap Songs/existing song name, then under 'Recordings' in right pane delete existing recording, then tap Add Recordings and select the new amended recording from the list and tap Save ? Does that then record any new timings in the relative sets and shows?
Secondly, the 'duplicating' issue - Using the same amended backing track scenario above, what I have been doing is deleting the 'old version' of the song from my SLM database, then importing the 'amended version' of the song via the Playlist (batch) method. What I've been experiencing though, is on the Import Preview screen there are often several 'extra' songs to be imported! These 'extras' however, are already in my SLM database and working, I have not altered their recordings or details in iTunes or anywhere else, and don't want or need them imported. If I proceed with the Import, these 'extras' are added to my songs database, meaning I now have two identical copies of the same song - but the previously existing song now cannot be played (I assume because its attached recording/s now don't exist). As SLM would normally not import a song whose song title in the playlist matches an existing song name in my database - I'm baffled. This 'duplicating' also often happens if I am importing a newly created song as well.   It does occur to me though, that I have at times had troubles with iTunes syncing and perhaps that may have more to do with this than SLM?

arlo

should the procedure be - tap Songs/existing song name, then under 'Recordings' in right pane delete existing recording, then tap Add Recordings and select the new amended recording from the list and tap Save

Correct. The key is not to recreate the song, just replace the recording that is attached to the song. By the way, if you replace the recording in iTunes with a new recording with exactly the same title/artist/album, you shouldn't even have to do that; Set List Maker's link will just point to the new recording.

on the Import Preview screen there are often several 'extra' songs to be imported!

I think you mean other songs that you already imported previously, right? In that case, they should appear in a faded style to indicate, "this song is in the playlist, but since you imported previously we're not going to import it again." If the song is not faded and is imported, and the original copy has a broken link to a recording, that suggests that you're changing the title/artist/album for the corresponding recording in iTunes. In that case, two things happen: 1) Set List Maker considers it a new song in need of importing, and 2) the original song will no longer be able to find the recording.