Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Midi help with Boss ES-8

Started by Facey, May 10, 2018, 04:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facey

Hi I'm a bit of a noob with midi and whilst I understand its principles I'm lacking experience in the practical application of it. Whilst I have read the midi set up information I still don't really know how to set up bandhelper (and my Es-8 if needed) so that when I change songs it switches patches on my boss ES-8 to the right one. If anyone has an ES-8 and/or could help it would be greatly appreciated.

I also understand that it is possible to assign a footswitch and control certain things on bandhelper (such as auto scroll start/stop, previous/next song etc and any help on this would also be great. Thanks.

arlo

Hi I'm a bit of a noob with midi and whilst I understand its principles I'm lacking experience in the practical application of it. Whilst I have read the midi set up information I still don't really know how to set up bandhelper (and my Es-8 if needed) so that when I change songs it switches patches on my boss ES-8 to the right one. If anyone has an ES-8 and/or could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Can you explain what you've done so far and where you're stuck?

I also understand that it is possible to assign a footswitch and control certain things on bandhelper (such as auto scroll start/stop, previous/next song etc and any help on this would also be great. Thanks.

Here are the instructions for setting up remote control:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/remote_control.html

Facey

So I have the ES8 connected up to my iPad via lightning adapter and midi cable and set up the midi device but I don't know what corresponding numbers to put in in either the programme change fields and/or control change fields within each song.
Do I also need to put anything in the midi song number field?
I also don't know if I need to do anything within the midi settings on the es8? Thanks for the reply.

arlo

You shouldn't be using the MIDI fields on the song edit page; those are for receiving MIDI. To send MIDI, you will need to create MIDI presets and attach them to your songs:

http://www-dev.bandhelper.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

Then you'll have to check the user manual for the ES8 and find out what MIDI messages you need to send to it. This will also tell you what MIDI settings you need to change on that device.

Facey

That's just it I don't know what to put in what field on bandhelper. I've read the tutorial but it hasn't really helped. There's no midi help in the manual either.

arlo

Can you contact Boss to find out what MIDI messages you need to send? I can help you set up BandHelper to send those messages. But finding out what you need to send is more a question about the ES-8 than about BandHelper.