Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Way to add a "pause" in the middle of a song?

Started by greiswig, May 16, 2018, 09:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greiswig

We do some songs that are medleys, and the solos in some of these songs vary in length. What I'd like to do is have an "auto-pause" that I can put in after a chorus or something, so that scrolling stops when it reaches that point, waiting for me to either tap the UI or hit my BT pedal.

I found the documentation for adding a pause to a set list, but I'm trying to do that within a song, where the document is actually pieces of several songs.

arlo

If the timing is consistent, you can record an automation track that pauses the auto-scrolling at a predefined time, then starts it again if you want:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/performing.html#automation_tracks

Or you can pause the auto-scrolling manually by clicking the document button on the screen or pressing a foot switch:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/remote_control.html

greiswig

Ill give that a try.  Would be nice also to just "add a pause at 2:34."

arlo

greiswig

Quote from: arlo on May 16, 2018, 01:14:46 PM
The automation track is the way do that.

Not exactly. As I understand it, I have to basically let the song scroll until 2:34, then hit the pause button. What I'm saying is that it would be nice just to be able to apply some automation without recording.

greiswig

I'm trying this, and a couple of things are coming up:

• The automation that was recorded and edited is disabled by default. So that is one more thing to have to remember to do before starting the song. Is there a way to enable automation for a song without having to click on it?
  • The timing seems buggy. I am editing the time because it didn't seem to stop in the same place where I first recorded it, and adding to the coarse time adjuster sometimes seems to make it stop later in the song, but sometimes earlier. That seems like it might be a bug
  • That last one may have to do with something else: the "End" section. I don't see documentation on what that section is about, or how it relates to the pause event I just recorded. But I do know that I edited that pause event time to be after the "End" time shown. Is that the problem with the bug? If so, I respectfully suggest that the "End" time be automatically updated to at least the time of the last event edited or recorded.

arlo

I have to basically let the song scroll until 2:34, then hit the pause button. What I'm saying is that it would be nice just to be able to apply some automation without recording.

Right, automation tracks are normally recorded in real time. If you know the timing you want, you can start recording, execute the action you want to record, and stop recording, then edit the automation track and set the timing for the action you just recorded.

The automation that was recorded and edited is disabled by default. So that is one more thing to have to remember to do before starting the song. Is there a way to enable automation for a song without having to click on it?

I wouldn't say it's "disabled by default," I'd say it "doesn't start automatically." That might help conceptualize how the app works. To make it start automatically, you can go to Repertoire > Layouts > [layout name] > Edit Details > Actions and set Automation Start/Stop to Song Selection.

The timing seems buggy. I am editing the time because it didn't seem to stop in the same place where I first recorded it, and adding to the coarse time adjuster sometimes seems to make it stop later in the song, but sometimes earlier.

I'm guessing this has to do with what you're playing the automation track against. If you're playing against a backing track, you would need to start them both at the same time so they match each other. The easiest way to do that is to use the layout action as described above.

the "End" section. I don't see documentation on what that section is about, or how it relates to the pause event I just recorded. But I do know that I edited that pause event time to be after the "End" time shown. Is that the problem with the bug? If so, I respectfully suggest that the "End" time be automatically updated to at least the time of the last event edited or recorded.

The purpose of the End event is to optionally trigger layout actions assigned to Song Completion. It will automatically move to the end of any recorded events, but it might not do that for manually adjusted events. I'll look into that.

arlo

In the new app version released today, the End event will automatically move past the last event if you manually set an event time after it.