Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Midi Control Layout?

Started by sibster, March 21, 2017, 01:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sibster

Hi there,

So I am using Bandhelper with a beatbuddy and have it set to send beat/song, drum set and tempo changes for each item in my set list

What I was trying to figure out was if I could design a layout that would allow access to any midi presets in my library rather than just the ones attached to the current song, and then let me assign a specific preset to a specific button? I can see that a single MIDI icon/button that cycles through attached presets is possible or have separate MIDI icon/buttons for each attached, but was hoping I could attach any preset to any button, or even hav a volume control slider and assign MIDI presets so I could dynamically change volume or even tempo easily whilst playing along (piano). A different group of presets that would not be cycled through the regular MIDI button perhaps is what I am getting at.

is this possible with Bandhelper? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Do I need to find an alternative app for this type of device control?

Thanks!

arlo

Displaying a button for a MIDI preset that is not attached to a song is tentatively on my to do list for later this year. I can update this thread if I'm able to do that.

You can add a volume slider to a layout to control audio volume, but if you want sliders to send continuous control MIDI messages, BandHelper can't do that. You could look for a generic MIDI control surface app to do things like that, and maybe run it in split-screen, side by side with BandHelper, on tablets that support that. Or if you are playing a keyboard as opposed to a real piano, you could use configurable buttons or sliders on your keyboard to do that.

sibster

Quote from: arlo on March 21, 2017, 01:52:27 PM
Displaying a button for a MIDI preset that is not attached to a song is tentatively on my to do list for later this year. I can update this thread if I'm able to do that.

Thanks I think that would be really useful than I can fix it in the layout and have it appear for all songs without having to repeatedly attach it.

You can add a volume slider to a layout to control audio volume, but if you want sliders to send continuous control MIDI messages, BandHelper can't do that. You could look for a generic MIDI control surface app to do things like that, and maybe run it in split-screen, side by side with BandHelper, on tablets that support that. Or if you are playing a keyboard as opposed to a real piano, you could use configurable buttons or sliders on your keyboard to do that.

Don't think  I can split screen on iPad 3
I play digital piano, whilst it has midi capabilities it doesn't have additional controls.

I guess I need some midi routing app and then connect up an additional control surface. Il have to investigate further!

Thanks for the response :)

arlo

In the new app version released today, you can add one or more MIDI presets to your layouts to make them available from any song (Layouts > [layout name] > Edit Details > MIDI Presets). Then you can set up a remote control action to send the layout MIDI presets, or trigger them from a song selection or song completion action, or just use the on-screen buttons. More info about the new version is here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1785.0.html

donmr

it would be super handy to have a midi slider/fader as well as a button to control exp controller parameters!
Cheers

arlo