Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Strange activity log behavior using Yamaha MD-BT01

Started by greiswig, May 18, 2018, 05:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greiswig

Hi, all. I am trying to set up Bandhelper to automatically send some PC messages to some of my devices. I decided to start with sending basic preset change to my AxeFX using this Yamaha MIDI bluetooth dongle.

The dongle has to be plugged in to both the input and the output of the AxeFX...seems like the output end of the unit is what powers the device.

Got everything working, but even when everything is just sitting there on a preset, the activity log is going ape.  See attached for a screen shot of the series of redundant messages.  Does anyone know where they're coming from? At the pace they are coming in, that can't be good. Probably 10-20 lines per second!

Thanks.

arlo

Those are MIDI SysEx messages, and bits 2-4 indicate they're coming from a Fractal Audio device. So I'd check with that company to find out what that is and how to turn it off.

(You can look up SysEx manufacturers here: https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/manufacturer-id-numbers)

Zionplayer

I recently did the same thing, and  think the Axe FX is sending tempo and tuner data out by midi.  You can turn those off in the Axe but then you lose tempo light and remote tuner on mfc 101 and I assume other foot pedals.  It's an issue for sure - had it randomly activate bypass in the middle of a gig couple of weeks ago. Freaked me out. 

Don't know solution, but one option if you have mfc and are using CAT5 connection to Axe, plug Bluetooth into midi in and out on the pedal. Is working fine for me, sending changes from BandHelper. 

Or buy an Axe III. I think that will also work! Let you know when mine comes in. 

greiswig

Tempo indicator! Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thank you.