Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

New SMF Sync feature issue - SOLVED

Started by MikeyJ, June 25, 2018, 05:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyJ

I've created a backing track/midi track combo in Reaper that will be used in conjunction in SLM. I exported the midi track as an SMF and imported both the .WAV and .MID into SLM. I then attached the .MID to the recording per the tutorial.

Issue is that when the song plays back, I can see my device receiving midi but it's not changing my device preset. They change fine when the midi track in Reaper sends to my device directly. I even opened a new project in Reaper, imported the SMF that I had exported from the original project and my device will change presets accordingly using that midi so I don't think it's the SMF.

Thoughts?

arlo

Can you see what MIDI the device is receiving? I don't know why it would receive MIDI data but not the right MIDI data.

You can see what MIDI Set List Maker is sending, from the MIDI Status window, and see if that looks right.

What MIDI is in your file? Is your device responding to any of it?

MikeyJ

See attached image for what Reaper is sending.

According to the MIDI status monitor, SLM is sending [B1, 00, 01] both times the Program Change should be sent. My device sees incoming MIDI but it appears to not be what it expects. Again, if I send directly to my device from Reaper the change happens as it should.

Edit: Seems like it's only sending the CC0 MSB and not the following CC32 LSB or PC?

arlo

Can you adjust your MIDI file so the program changes are sent shortly after the bank changes, rather than at the same time?

MikeyJ

That solved it. I guess I thought that because the three events make up one action they could happen together. My bad!

Thanks for your help! BTW, for bands/artists that are syncing program changes to pedals and keyboards as well as midi events for controlling DMX lighting, the ability to sync a midi file with an audio file is a total game changer. Thanks for this!

arlo

Great. I think if the events have the same timestamp, there's no guarantee in what order they would be sent or received. And even if they were received in the right order, some devices can't handle simultaneous messages and need them spaced out a bit.