Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Last Update - German Translation

Started by Sonnyboy666, July 17, 2018, 08:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonnyboy666

Hello,
I am a german user of BandHelper.
Since the last Update under "Repertoire" the section "Pause Names" are incorrectly translated to "Einschubnamen".
This should be: "Pausennamen"

Greetings,
Ingo

arlo

This was changed intentionally, because my German translators decided that "Pause" is a better translation for what in English I call "Break" (10-20 minutes between sets when the band leaves the stage) and "Einschub" is a better translation for what in English I call "Pause" (10-60 seconds while the band stops to talk to the audience, or finishes a block of continuously played songs). Another change is that "Schlagwört" is now used for what in English I call "Tag" (a keyword attached to a song for searching and sorting).

Sonnyboy666

I am sorry, but you should talk to your translators once again.  ;)
Nobody in Germany calls a pause "Einschub".
The correct translation is : Unterbrechung.
A break is a "Pause" in German. A short pause is an "Unterbrechung".
Maybe here are more German folks who are using BandHelper who can confirm this.

You can also try Google translate

Uwe

Chris

+1 for the statement of Sonnyboy666.
Also wondered why this was changed lately as it seemed correct before :)

Sonnyboy666

I like to give this a push.
It's not critical but you should change this in an upcoming version of BandHelper.
No more "Einschubnamen"!  :)

Christoph

Hi folks, I am working in the German translators team and we are still pondering this. We were also thinking of ,,Unterbrechung", but this would have lead to quit long word combinations like ,,Unterbrechungsnamen". Another idea was ,,Ansage" which might be the most obvious use for the short pause, but would probably be too specific. What would make most sense for you? We can change the translation anytime and it would be reflected in the next update.

Sonnyboy666

Thank you for your quick response.
Yes, I agree with you. The correct term would be "Unterbrechung". "Ansage" is too specific, right. If "Unterbrechung" is too long, you should name it "Pausennamen". Because also a "Unterbrechung" is a short "Pause".
Another idea from me would be "Stopp". It stands in german also for a short break. But it's mostly used for driving. It is short enough I think.
So, the longer breaks should be "Pausen" and the short breaks "Stopps".

Christoph

Ok folks, we have com up with an idea. I want to post it here before we implement it to see if this would work for you. Our goal is to have a sustainable solution:

We are thinking of naming the break between sets "Setpause" and the pause between songs "Songpause". This would make clear that adding a "Setpause" actually adds a set and that each "Songpause" can be named and moved in the playlist just like songs. So you would have "Songpausennamen"instead of "Einschubnamen".

Any vetoes against that? :)

arlo

I don't see any problems with Setpause and Songpause.

But strictly in terms of meaning, does Unterbrechung have the perfect meaning? If so, Unterbrechungnamen is only four characters longer than Songpausennamen, so it might be just as well to use the word you really want and see if the length creates any problems.

Tasten-Bert

I am a Setlistmaker user but I guess this subject covers both apps, doesn't it? The German language very often has long words that don't make it easy to transport a correct plus easy to catch meaning. Therefore I've always used SLM in English. 'Break' is a fine short word. 'Unterbrechung' means interruption and to me often includes the feeling that this is something which happens to me without my influence. I don't like it. When I think about what kind of breaks we're talking about here then I feel the short time between two songs we in the band would just call 'Ansage' which means the time for announcing the next tune. I know that this is not a right translation for the original wording but at least I would for sure know which break is meant. And the break between two sets would be the 'Pause'. Nothing more. Regards from still warm and sunny Germany.

arlo

'Unterbrechung' means interruption and to me often includes the feeling that this is something which happens to me without my influence.

That's good to know, thanks.

I feel the short time between two songs we in the band would just call 'Ansage' which means the time for announcing the next tune.

That''s not the only reason to use pauses, so that's probably not a good choice either.

I wonder what everyone thinks about "Stopp"? In English this is equally associated with driving and with other daily activities. And a period at the end of a sentence is sometimes called a "full stop," which is similar to the role one of these plays during a musical set. Stop and catch your breath and then continue.

Otherwise "Setpause" and "Songpause" seems fine.

Chris

QuoteOtherwise "Setpause" and "Songpause" seems fine.

That would be my preference for naming as well.

Tasten-Bert

Yep, that's fine. Short enough and clear. Remains the only question, why the word break has to be translated whereas the words set and song appear to be 'germish' enough. Cheers dears.