Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

MIDI Soft Thru - used for ?

Started by Goergtn, July 18, 2018, 10:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goergtn

In Settings - Audio & MIDI, there is a soft-thru on/off. What would this be used for? Does it take any incoming MIDI and re-send it ? Can it be "channelized" or sent to a separate port?
I thought I was getting double triggering of MIDI notes (phasey/thin sound), then I saw I had the soft thru on. Turned it off and, although not right away, the problem stopped. I don't remember turning it on in this particular data base, but I guess I did. It must default to off, since two other data bases never had this on.
What would be the use(s) of the soft-thru?
Tanx,
Dan

arlo

This function takes any incoming MIDI and sends it back out again. You can't filter or re-route it in any way, although other apps like MIDI Bridge can do that if needed. The purpose of this is to pass along messages from one device to another if you have a MIDI network that doesn't include direct connections between all the devices (a daisy chain arrangement). It does default to Off and you should leave it off if you don't need it.

Goergtn