Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Looping MIDI files

Started by davidgolden99, August 03, 2018, 08:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidgolden99

Is it possible to set a standard MIDI file to loop in Set List Maker? I have a sequence that I want repeated throughout the song, starting when I select the song and ending when I select the next song. Is there a raw MIDI command that will work in SLM? Am I better off using an external editor to make the MIDI file loop?

arlo

Set List Maker isn't designed to do real-time sequencing, so you would have to set that up in the external editor. However, there would not be a way to cleanly end the loop or play an outro if you need that.

An alternative would be setting up an external sequencer app and controlling that with MIDI messages from Set List Maker. This forum post has a suggestion for that: http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1509.msg8041.html#msg8041

davidgolden99

(copied from the other thread)

I just got Quantiloop Pro, per the suggestion on the other thread. Which settings I need to use to send commands to Quantiloop?

Signal path: SLM > Quantiloop > iRig (out) > (in) microKORG (thru) > (in) Nord
Song: On the Run
MIDI preset: On the Run
MIDI loop: on-the-run-loop

(Yes, it's Pink Floyd)

arlo

If you can figure out what MIDI messages you need to send, I can help you get that programmed into Set List Maker. If you don't know what MIDI messages you need to send, you can check the Quantiloop user manual, or contact its tech support, or find a user forum for that product.

davidgolden99

It looks like Quantiloop only sends the clock through MIDI out, not notes. (It's pretty cool, but not for what I'm trying to do here. I could make an audio file, but then I'd have to patch the iPad into my mixer and deal with another cable connection on stage.)

Sweet MIDI looks like the way to go. It doesn't "loop" like a looper, but has a setting to play the file again when it reaches the end. It's just a matter of getting it to stop when I go to the next song.

davidgolden99

And it works! I followed Arlo's instructions for making start and stop presets. The real chore was editing the MIDI file to select the right patch on the microKORG.

arlo