Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Midi beat clock via device linking?

Started by unix-guy, August 17, 2018, 08:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unix-guy

Hi all,

I have a question on Bandhelper (I know this is the Set List Maker forum, but it seems more appropriate here).

I am trying to use Bandhelper from my iPhone and a USB to lightning adapter to send midi Beat Clock to my Axe Fx III... But I want to trigger it from a linked "master" device.

If I start click the "metronome" icon on a song with tempo set, it works as expected when I do it from the iPhone.

However, what I want is to trigger the same thing from the master device (ipad) that the iPhone is following remote control events from.

Is this possible?

We have 3 band members each using an Axe Fx and would like to have our drummer remotely send beat clock from his iPad to all our devices so that we can sync delay tempos, etc.

But I can't even get 1 to work... :'(

Thanks

Kevin

arlo

You could either...

1) Set up a MIDI network that connects all your effects units to the master device.

2) Connect all your slave devices to your master device via MIDI over Bluetooth, then turn on MIDI Thru on the slave devices, then connect your effects to your slave devices.

#1 seems simpler and potentially more accurate for timing.

unix-guy

In option 1, are you referring to a wired solution? I'm trying to avoid more cables on the stage, which is why I started down the road I am on. I agree, it would be much simpler...

In option 2, is midi over Bluetooth something that bandhelper would do or do I need some other app for that?

Thanks for your input!

unix-guy

Replying to myself... I found the settings in bandhelper to perform the midi over Bluetooth.

It was a bit confounding because it appears to using my Wi-Fi not the Bluetooth even though I am specifically using the Bluetooth settings.

My iPhone and iPad happened to be on two different WiFi networks in my house and the Bluetooth wouldn't connect until they were on the same network. Ugh...

Next step would be trying the beat clock again.  ;)

arlo

Option 1 could be wired or wireless (but that's more a general MIDI question than a BandHelper question).