Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Save text size per layout and/or device

Started by chadcb, September 22, 2018, 08:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadcb

Hello,

I couldn't find the answer to this by searching. I have an iPhone and an iPad, each using a different custom layout. When I resize the text to work well on the iPhone (pinch/zoom), it also changes it on the iPad. And when I fix it on the iPad, the iPhoned is changed again. Is there a way to preset these specific settings from syncing? I tried setting text size and chord size to local sync only. No luck. Is this possible?

Thanks!

arlo

No, the text size is supposed to scale to different screen sizes (technically, document viewer sizes) so that lines will wrap consistently on each device. If you have a phone and a tablet, it would be better to think of each playing a different role -- the phone for quick updates on the go and maybe for personal practice, and the tablet for viewing from a distance during rehearsal or performance -- rather than trying to use them interchangeably for the same situations.

chadcb

Thanks. Not sure if if it's my devices. I have an old iPad stuck on legacy iOS. And new iPhone. If it scaled  accordingly then that would solve my problem. It doesn't appear to be doing that. I can post screen shots later if that helps. Thanks again.

arlo

Sure, you can post screen shots to make sure it's working as intended.

chadcb

I decided to get a new iPad. As soon as I have things setup, I'll revisit this and report back. Thanks again.

JerryK

Option to save text size percentage per layout & device?  Maybe that would work.
I would prefer smaller than 'standard' on my iPad, for example

arlo

I'm adding a device-wide percentage setting, but I'm not sure what to name it:

- I started with "Lyrics Size Override," but I'm afraid people will think that's the primary or only way to resize lyrics and will ignore the pinch-zoom function for individual songs.

- Then I tried "Lyrics Size Multiplier," which implies that this value is combined with another value, but maybe is a confusing terminology. Maybe a little confusing is good to deter people from using it before they understand what it is.

- Now I'm considering "Lyrics Base Size." That also implies that this value is combined with another value, but it might be easier to think about it as the underlying "base size" than something that is added later. The calculated result will be the same.

I'm also thinking that the ability to save individual text sizes should be disabled, so someone doesn't crank up this setting, then change their song sizes to compensate, which would mess up the song sizes for everyone else.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

arlo

Today's iOS and Android releases include Settings > Appearance > Lyrics Size Override. Whatever value you enter there will be multiplied by the saved text size for individual songs when displaying the song. That will not be synced across devices or affect the display on other devices. To prevent inadvertent changes on other devices, you will not be able to save the individual song lyrics sizes on a device that has the Lyrics Size Override set -- the Save Text Size and Reset Text Size buttons will be disabled.

Neill00

I'm having an issue in which "lyric size "override" doesn't do anything unless I pinch zoom a song and then save the text size. If it's at the default text size as a result of "reset text size" which doesn't require a save text size.  Is that how it's designed to work?  I didn't want to start a ticket until I checked first.

arlo

Ah yes, the lyrics size override wasn't applied to songs that didn't have a saved text size. Also, the Reset Text Size button was still active for songs that didn't have a saved text size. Both these issues will be fixed in the next update.

Neill00

Awesome, thanks.  This is a really cool feature. I have been wanting this for a long time... very much appreciate everything you do!!

arlo

The lyrics size override with songs that don't have a saved text size, and the Reset Text Size issue I mentioned above, are fixed with yesterday's release.