Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

MIDI Integration for Yamaha arranger Keyboards

Started by BlindFish, December 29, 2018, 04:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlindFish

Hello,

i am facing a problem and hope to find some support here as my MIDI knowledge may be too limited to solve it my own.

I am using Bandhelper for some years now, especeally for sending MIDI to my stage gear.

I've added a new item recently, a Yamaha Genos arranger keyboard. Unlike my other keyboards where i mostly call voices or performances by sending MSB / LSB combinations, Yamaha arranger keyboards are using so-called registrations to store something like a complete snapshot of similar settings. The biggest difference to my other instruments is that registrations are not arranged into banks from 0 to 127 but are organized as files, either on internal or external storage devices.

Yamaha is working pretty close with a software developer from Switzerland that has developed an app called "Songbook+" that is pretty much doing the same stuff that Bandhelper does, but IMHO in an unintuitive and inconvenient way. And who really wants to change a running system as i really love my Bandhelper features ...

As far as i can tell, the other app that would enable me to call registrations on my instrument by tapping an entry on my iPad has to use SysEx data. And with a MIDI monitor open in Bandhelper and performing changes in the Songbook+ app, i can see SysEx data going in and out.

The important thing would be to know if and how to read this SysEx data and if i can build my own templates to copy into Bandhelper for calling my own registrations.

So my question would be if someone out there has the required MIDI knowledge and is willing to have a look at the info i can provide or maybe somebody who had the same problem and already found a solution to make this work.

arlo

Ideally this would be documented in the Yamaha user manual. Did you check that?

Once you know what sysex message you need to send, you can put that into the Raw MIDI field of a MIDI preset.