Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Midi Program Change from BandHelper to other App

Started by KeytarPaul, January 02, 2019, 07:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeytarPaul

I want a Song Selection in BandHelper to send Programs Changes to Audio Evolution Mobile Studio on two Midi channels. It's running on the same Android Tablet. Is this possible?

If so, how?

Thanks!

arlo

Sending MIDI between apps on the same device is called Virtual MIDI, and yes, that should work. Ideally you would have at least Android 6 on your device, because older versions use an older MIDI framework.

KeytarPaul

GREAT! My Tablet is 7.1.1 - so I'm good there.

Now if I can just figure out how to do "virtual Midi" between the 2 apps

78^)

arlo

It should just work. But the other app might have a setting to select the virtual MIDI port. And the other app would need the ability to stay running in the background (that's usually more an issue on iOS than Android).

WashedUp

Would virtual midi allow me to send changes to the x air app for the x-air mixer?

found a little info on midi implementation here.

https://behringerwiki.musictribe.com/index.php?title=8._MIDI

arlo

That should work, with the same caveats I gave above.

WashedUp

To say it should work isn't enough. Is there any info online? Is virtual midi an app?  Sorry I know nothing of it yet.

arlo

"Virtual MIDI" just means sending MIDI between apps on the same device. The BandHelper part will work. I can't answer for the other app you want to send MIDI to. You could contact its developer if you want a more definitive answer.

WashedUp

Is there an example of a known app that does have and accept virtual midi? Would I then add that app as a midi device?

arlo

JamUp, Loopy and MIDI Wrench are examples of apps I've done virtual MIDI with in the past.

Yes, you would add that app as a MIDI device. Then in the MIDI device you can set the port if needed, or just leave it set to All Ports, which I usually recommend.

WashedUp

Well I have not succeeded in using virtual midi to control the x-air.  I did find success though, sending directly, or in my case indirectly using the midi through port on my Axe FX III to the in of the x-air. Yamaha MD-BT01 connected to the Axe midi in and out. I'm sure you could connect the MD-BT01 directly to the x-air as well.

The messages sent to the x-air seem to work well and quickly. Do note though that the display on the x-air app does  update to reflect the changes from midi, but lags behind quite a bit, and not consistently in length of lag.

Anyway I'm happy enough to increase the reverb on my vocal at the start of a song, and back it off at the end for in between song banter. Perhaps add occasional special fx/delay ect.

I think it'll be a nice touch to use a bit of automation to dial in the shows.