Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

REQ: Setlists spanning multiple projects

Started by pheldal, January 05, 2019, 03:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pheldal

Recently my band has started playing with multiple singers/artists and to keep things organised I've ended up using a common band-account with a project for each singer. For gigs where two or more of those singers take part it would be nice to be able to create setlists where one could mix songs from multiple projects. I know that a song can relate to multiple projects, but the different singers/artist often perform the same song very differently. The key, tempo and entire arrangement of the song may differ a lot. To maintain the relation between individual songs across multiple projects with potentially multiple versions of the same title in some projects creates unnecessary confusion.

Le me know if there are possibilities I've missed in the above, but this is my wishlist:

• Setlists able to span multiple projects. (checkbox for all projects in setlist details). Btw, the text in the project selection popup is already plural, at least in my language. I.e "select projects" rather than "choose a project" :-)
  • Display song-titles with project-name in parenthesis when a list is associated with more than one project. Alternatively some other visible project identifier
  • Same when editing/adding songs from multiple projects. The list of songs to add from would include songs from all related projects
  • A setlist spanning multiple projects should appear in the list of setlists on all included projects

Ideally there should also be a way to create smartlists spanning multiple projects, but this is more of a practise-tool than for stage performance.

arlo

I don't think you should use separate projects to manage songs that are really in the same project but have different singers. That's just not what the project functionality is designed for.

If a song has slight variations between singers, you can keep one master song and then make smart copies for different singers. Or if a song is almost completely different, you can just make a regular copy, and either update the song title to tell them apart, or use a "Singer" custom field to tell them apart.