Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Midi Device Settings Option to NOT Sync Across Devices

Started by WITELITE, October 27, 2020, 05:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WITELITE

Arlo - I was curious if this exists.

Today I have an ipad for rehearsal which has all the MIDI devices connected through the computer. Most our wired and some are wireless and the setup works great.

When we play live, I rely more on wireless devices and I've created a setup through MIDIFire to do the appropriate routing and filtering. This requires me setting the MIDIDevice to MIDIFire for it work properly.

So my question is, is there an option to not sync the Midi Device Setup across devices. Syncing the Midi Presets and PC,CCs is fine and great but would be awesome if the devices that are assigned to those channels could vary across the devices.

If not I guess setting up the same device twice with different settings and activating them based on the situation is an option as well.

Just curious and thanks again for what has become a simply indispensible program

MM

arlo

Your MIDI Devices should represent the final destination of a MIDI message, not the interfaces or routing software that it passes through. For example, if a MIDI program change is meant for a keyboard, you should create a MIDI device for that keyboard, not for a USB interface or an app like MidiFire.

Then typically you can leave the Port on the MIDI Device edit page set to All, and seamlessly move from one setup to another. For example, if you use a wireless MIDI interface in rehearsal and a USB MIDI interface on stage, the MIDI messages will work with either setup with the Port set to All.

You would only need to set the Port, and subsequently change it, if you are connected to multiple MIDI routes or devices at the same time and need to change between them.

Does that answer your question?

WITELITE

Hmmm . I had it working using Midifire as the destination.

I'll look at this but I guess my question is what is the order of precedence when midifire and bandhelper are running at the same time?

If I set the devices as the final destination of the midi message in bandhelper, wont it transmit to that irrespective of what I have set up in Midifire? Or does the act of running midifire intercept everything from bandhelper and then route it based upon how it is programmed there?

And while I have you, even an option of color coding the midi devices would enable my other solution of etting up the same device twice with different settings and activating them based on the situation.  So maybe that could be a wish list item? :)

MM

arlo

what is the order of precedence when midifire and bandhelper are running at the same time?

I don't understand the question ... the order of precedence of what?

If I set the devices as the final destination of the midi message in bandhelper, wont it transmit to that irrespective of what I have set up in Midifire?

No, how you name your MIDI devices is more a change of mindset. If you think of a MIDI device as the eventual destination rather than the route, then you can let the routing happen automatically based on what is connected, or override that with the Port setting in the rare cases where that's needed.

even an option of color coding the midi devices would enable my other solution of etting up the same device twice with different settings and activating them based on the situation

I don't see a need to set up the same device twice, which would also require entering all your MIDI preset values twice.

What specifically is not working?

WITELITE

Sorry Arlo,

This may get longwinded but hopefully can help.

I have a guitar rig and vocal processor for rehearsal purposes and one for live use. They are two different units.

The rehearsal guitar processor (Axe FX) is connected via USB with Bandhelper connected wired through lightning port to midi,
The rehearsal vocal processor (Voice Live) is connected via hardwired MIDI cable.

The live units are exactly the same though I connect them using bluetooth wireless midi. Because they are exactly the same I just change the midi connection from hardwired to the wireless bluetooth device and all the presets work as they did in rehearsal.

Problem is that some of the midi events  (there are more wireless units in the band) are overloading the Vocal Processor so I was looking at using MidiFire to do some custom filtering and changing of events.

So my question is when I load bandhelper and load midifire, I am trying to understand if bandhelper sends the messages to midifire which then sends to the devices (which is how I have gotten it to work by designating the midi device for the two units as MIDIFIRE). Is that correct.

Or if I go your route and designate the bluetooth midi devices for the two units, how does MIDIFIRE play into the equation? Wouldn't bandhelper just send to those units and any filtering I set up in MIDIFIRE would not be utilized? Hence my question on how the midi routing works if MIDIFire and Bandhelper are both active applications.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

MM

arlo

when I load bandhelper and load midifire, I am trying to understand if bandhelper sends the messages to midifire which then sends to the devices (which is how I have gotten it to work by designating the midi device for the two units as MIDIFIRE)

By default, outgoing messages will go to every app and device that's connected. If you want to use MidiFire to filter messages or control the routing, then yes, you could set the MIDI Device's port to MidiFire and then the messages will only go to MidiFire and you can forward them along from there as needed.

if I go your route and designate the bluetooth midi devices for the two units, how does MIDIFIRE play into the equation? Wouldn't bandhelper just send to those units and any filtering I set up in MIDIFIRE would not be utilized? Hence my question on how the midi routing works if MIDIFire and Bandhelper are both active applications.

I'm not totally sure on this, but I think that connecting to a Bluetooth MIDI adapter in BandHelper just pairs the adapter to Core MIDI on the iPad, and doesn't imply that messages will be routed directly from BandHelper to the Blueooth. They should still go to all destinations, or the port specified in the MIDI Device. This is why you can connect to the Bluetooth adapter from a different app, but BandHelper will still use it. In short, I think this will still work the way you want.

I wasn't recommending selecting the Bluetooth adapter as the port in the MIDI Device. The only reason to do that would be if you have multiple apps or ports connected and the messages meant for one destination are interfering with a different destination (typically, setting up each device on a different channel takes care of that problem). In your case, if you want to prevent the VoiceLive from dealing with messages meant for other devices, you could set the port in each MIDI Device to the specific port each device is connected to, and then you'd have to change those port settings on the MIDI Device pages when you change between your practice and live setup. Or you could set all the ports to MidiFire and do the routing there, but I'm guessing you would have to make a similar change in MidiFire when you change between setups.