Main Menu
Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

MIDI Note

Started by dvukmiro, January 28, 2019, 08:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvukmiro

I'm trying to control a lighting board (MyDmx 3.0) and simply want to send a MIDI note (say C0) from BandHelper to my lighting board. I'm able to connect from my iOs app (iPhone) to my MacBook running the lighting software. Need help just having a single MIDI note sent at the start of the song to cue the lighting change. Any advice? I'm a relative newbie to higher level MIDI functions. Thanks guys!

arlo

You can place the hex code for a MIDI Note On message into the Raw MIDI field of a MIDI preset. Here's an example:

90 3C 7F

9 = note on message
0 = channel 1, in hexadecimal, counting from 0 (one digit)
3C = note number 60, in hexadecimal (two digits)
7F = velocity 127, in hexadecimal (two digits)

dvukmiro

Thank you! All I needed!

davelson

Hi Arlo
Just found this thread, and it is just what I was looking for..
Can you please tell me which note is being sent when you select note 60 in your example..? Ie what note/key is referenced?
I am trying to set up a midi preset note send to trigger a Tsunami wav trigger for backings... the tsunami triggers each stored backing track on receipt of a midi note-on command corresponding to the track number ie C#1 triggers track 25 etc.
Also is it possible with this system to send notes higher than the 128 limit....?

Appreciate the help

arlo

Here's a chart showing all the MIDI note numbers and their corresponding pitches:

https://computermusicresource.com/midikeys.html

I don't think there is a way to reference more than 128 different notes. If you need to select from a larger number of backing tracks, you'd have to see if the receiving software has some mechanism for changing banks or something like that (they might call it something different). The MIDI standard includes a mechanism for changing banks when sending program changes, but not when sending notes, so if the software has something like that, it wouldn't be standardized.

davelson

Awesome, many thanks for your reply...