Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Sync a Standard MIDI File with a recording?

Started by Pruitt62, February 01, 2019, 12:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pruitt62

I am currently evaluating Bandhelper for a few bands I am in. The main reason I am considering switching to it, from what I've used for the last 6-7 years, is it's ability to send midi messages to connected equipment. Specifically to create a synced light show with my backing/click tracks using midi note messages sent to my hardware DMX controller. I have successfully figured out how to change settings in all my various equipment using the Midi Preset function, and can call up scenes and chases in my DMX controller, and change presets in pedalboards, my mixer, etc.... But what really drew me to the app was the purported ability to sync a midi data track to an associated audio (Backing) track for use in syncing up a light show.

Unfortunately, after spending a few hours trying to get that to work, I just noticed the small print in the documentation that this function is only available to iOS users, and not Android users. Is there any chance this ability will eventually be extended to the Android O/S? At this point it is the main thing holding me back from taking out a subscription to Bandhelper for myself and my bandmates. Without the chance of that, I am most likely forced to look for other solutions, which is a shame, because this app is pretty nice bit of coding. But if it's an iOS only kind of thing, I guess I don't have a choice, as an expensive iPad is not in my future. If I have to spend that much money, I'd prefer to just get a laptop, and go that route for my backing track/light automation needs. Using Bandhelper for this is just an attempt to leverage hardware I already own. I guess if there is technically no chance this could be developed on the Android side too, then that would signal that it's time for me to abandon evaluating this, and begin the search anew for something that can do what I am seeking. So I guess that is the information I am seeking. Is it possible this will be added in the future?

In any case, it's a nice app. Very handy, and well thought out. Just seems too bad the good stuff is iOS only? :(

Pruitt62

After writing that I started playing around with your realtime automation recording function, and I might be able to work with that. It'd be far easier, and more precise, if I could use the midi file for sending midi commands, but I can probably do a bunch of manual creation of presets for each of my scenes I can address in my DMX controller, and then use the realtime automation to fire off my scenes as needed with my backing/click tracks. It should work close enough, but hopefully Android is able to get the audio and midi file sends combined eventually. That would be a bit more efficient, and hopefully more precise. :)

It's a pretty sweet app. I keep delving into it further and finding more capabilities. Very nice. Thanks!

arlo

MIDI data file support for Android isn't currently on my roadmap. The core of this functionality on iOS is provided by the operating system, and I don't have the resources to replicate that on Android. However, if the Android operating system added support for this, then I could build on that to provide the same functionality.

Several people do use automation tracks to control lighting systems, but that is more tedious than building a MIDI file in a sequencing app. Another option is to play your MIDI file from another app running in the background, and use MIDI messages from BandHelper to select and start the sequences as you select songs.

BTW, many people write off iPads as too expensive, but the basic model has everything you need for $329. You can get an Android for less, but I'd be wary of performance and compatibility issues below that price.

Pruitt62

Thanks for the reply, Arlo. It is appreciated. Guess I have to do some thinking and decide if it's worth the effort to use Bandhelper, and spend a lot of tedious time using the automation recording process for my 300 tracks, or just buy a laptop and use actual DMX programming software on that? As I said in the OP, an iPad is not an option. I guess I could try firing a midi track from another program, but from what I read there is an issue with lag that doesn't allow that process to sync as desired? If that si teh case, than it seems that for me. it's Automation recording, or move on and look for a different solution. I guess I am going to have to go back to researching other products this weekend, so I can make a better informed decision before my Bandhelper Trial expires. Thanks again for the prompt answer!