Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

MIDI Thru and Receive MIDI in background

Started by WITELITE, February 17, 2019, 02:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WITELITE

Hi Arlo

I've always used Bandhelper to send program changes TO devices but with my Axe FX III I can also send MIDI commands from the Axe to Bandhelper and then have them change patches on other devices.

I've gotten this to work but I'm not sure I understand "Receive MIDI in background" and "MIDI Thru (Soft Thru) ". Can you explain what these both do (I've looked on line before posting) and I want to make sure I understand them properly.

I assume MIDI Soft Thru has to be enabled for this to work but again want to make sure I understand these.

(And if there is a manual explaining these functions, please point me so I don't need to bother you). Most functions are described on line.

Thanks so much

MM

arlo

Receive MIDI In Background lets you lock your device or view a different app without interrupting the handling of incoming MIDI messages. So you don't need that if you're leaving BandHelper visible on your screen.

MIDI Thru copies all incoming messages and sends them out again. You should only use this when you need to forward messages meant for another device in a daisychain setup. If you're using the Axe to select songs in BandHelper, and then using BandHelper to send MIDI presets, you don't need that either.

Does that help?

WITELITE

Thanks Arlo for the quick response.

The Axe III has pretty seamless scene switching  from guitar patch to guitar patch and also has a midi block command that can be enabled on scene changes. So when I switch scenes on the Axe it sends a command to Bandhelper which then sends to the Roland GR-55 to change the patch there as well. Works pretty well and I think I understand the differences now.

Are there downsides with Midi thru? I only ask based on your response and I assume Bandhelper forwards the channel as well so only the device that is supposed to change will recognize it.

Thanks

MM

arlo

It's not a question of upsides or downsides, it's a question of whether you need MIDI Thru or not. If you are sending one MIDI message to BandHelper to select a song, and then you want BandHelper to send a different MIDI message to another device to do something else, you don't need MIDI Thru. If you are sending a MIDI message from one device to your tablet or phone and you want that same message to continue on to another device as if BandHelper isn't even there, then you do need MIDI Thru.