Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Sharing side projects under one large account?

Started by LesStrangers, March 20, 2019, 10:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesStrangers

So, my account is 6-20 band members for our main band. (Six steady players, and then lots of subs). Bandhelper really helps keep all of this straight particularly with all of the great updates. So...

Sometimes we do side projects, which by necessity excludes other players - such as when we form a small jazz trio, which we end up playing under a different band or project name. The question is, am I able to publish the event where it won't show up on the calendar for those that aren't invited. (I know, I should be able to answer this question myself). Point being, I don't necessarily want certain players who are syncing the account to their calendar to have to see it, thereby rubbing it in their nose that they aren't playing. When you get this many players revolving, etc., it becomes important to consider morale, and people's feelings.

For instance, let's say I have Dick, Harry, James, Mary, Jane and George in our usual line-up, and they all sync their BH cal to iCal or google, etc. But we put together a side gig of just Dick, Mary and Jane under a different trio name. Will the three others see this on their calendar? I suppose they'll see it if they review event listings on BH website or mobile, right? In other words, I'm not totally sure what other users see on the site or their calendars.

Is the best thing to open another Bandhelper account, and if so, there probably isn't a way to share user data, etc., is that right?

Just trying to keep this all straight. Thanks, Arlo.

PS I am not trying to get around getting another account. I'm happy to pay a bit more to be able to manage more than one band. I ask because these little spin-off pop-up jazz trios, etc., play on a random basis.
PSS If there were an account I could buy that would allow multiple band management, but share user data across bands, I'd happily pay. But I understand that may be more complexity than is needed, particularly if user profile settings solve the dilemma.

JerryK

I can't answer the calendar question but I have several bands/projects on one account, though it's only for me that I use those other projects - no extra members.  My point is that quite a few songs appear in more than one project.  BH does this very well, with just one copy of a song appearing in selected projects.  A Smart Copy can deal with different keys or whatever, though it seems both the original and smart copy must be in each project where they are wanted.
Plus, of course, I can just log in to the one account and manage all of my material.

arlo

You have two options:

1) Create additional projects in your account. Users who aren't assigned to a project won't see events or any other data for that project. This is best if you're doing lots of trio gigs, for example -- not just a one-time gig -- and it's worth the effort to segment its other data like set lists and financial transactions.

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/projects.html

2) Set some users to Personal Schedule Only on the user edit page. Then those users will only see events they are included in, but this doesn't affect their access to other data. This is best if you have different people playing for different events for the same project.

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/managing_users.html

mbrey

Quote from: arlo on March 20, 2019, 11:04:16 PM
You have two options:

1) Create additional projects in your account. Users who aren't assigned to a project won't see events or any other data for that project. This is best if you're doing lots of trio gigs, for example -- not just a one-time gig -- and it's worth the effort to segment its other data like set lists and financial transactions.

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/projects.html

Sorry if this is a dumb question - just moved here from Setlist Maker: Where do you see these other projects in the Android app? I've set up several projects under my account online, but I can't find them in the app. I have sync'd several times.

Thanks,
Mick

arlo

You can use the back button in the top left corner to navigate all the way back to your list of accounts, then after selecting an account you should see the list of projects.

mbrey

I do not see that. Here is a screenshot.

arlo

Please submit a help ticket so I can get troubleshooting info from your device:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

mbrey

Problem solved. The additional projects were shown as Inactive. They are sync'ing now.

Thank you for the fast response!