Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Multi route audio files

Started by Krystofur, March 29, 2019, 05:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

I was thinking the iO Dock headphone jack just connected directly to the iPad headphone jack. But from what you're describing, it sounds like it connects the iO Dock headphone jack to the digital audio from the iPad Lightning port. That would explain why the headphone jack doesn't appear as an option when docked -- nothing is connected to it. In any case, it wouldn't be possible to get six outputs (Lightning, iPad headphone and iO Dock headphone) because the iPad itself only has two output routes (Lightning and headphone).

Krystofur

but the lightning output is what sends audio to the iodock. the headphone jack is never used in either iodock. first or second generation. the alesis headphone jack is like a summation of what's coming in from the lightning port. it's internal to the dock itself. does that make it impossible to access it since it's not "available" at the lightning connection - but only wiring inside the alesis unit itself?

arlo

Yes, my app would only be able to route audio to the iO Dock headphone jack separately from the Main Out jacks if the iO Dock acted as a four-channel USB audio interface that advertised those channels to the iPad. Otherwise you would need to use the iPad's headphone jack to get more than two output channels from the iPad. (This also requires that the iO Dock act as a two-channel USB audio interface via the Lightning port, because if it merely takes audio from the iPad's built-in audio interface, the iPad will shut off its headphone jack.)

Krystofur

well. i can tell you from experience (as i am currently using it) when the lightning port on the ipad is connected to the ioDock the headphone jack on the ipad still works. so since that is true - what you also suspect is likely true, as well. the iodock is only showing 2 available outputs to the ipad - and hence SLM. which stinks. one could do a lot with that extra output.

thanks arlo. as always...