Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Showing Lyrics vs. Charts

Started by apbands, April 26, 2019, 08:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apbands

Hey All,

I'm just starting in this program and wasn't able to locate a post that pertained to this so here goes:  I have a few gigs where I need to show the lyrics for a song but not the chord charts.  I messed around with settings but wasn't able to locate how to prioritize lyrics over charts.  Any help appreciated.

arlo

You can edit a song, scroll down to the Documents list, and drag the items into the desired sequence.

Or if you always have built-in lyrics and an attached document, you can always put them in the same sequence in every song, then change Settings > General Settings > Defaults > Document to 1 or 2 to change the default for all songs at once.

apbands

My issue is that in the app and the site it combines "Lyrics & Chords" as one document.  Do I need to manually import separate files for each?

arlo

Your terminology isn't clear here. When you say "chord charts" do you mean the built-in Chords field? But you also referred to "documents" and "files." You can add text directly to the Lyrics and Chords fields, and/or attach documents:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/compare_lyrics_documents.html

What formats are you wanting to use?

apbands

Currently I have put lyrics in the "Lyrics" window and "Lyrics with Chords" in the chords window. 

My desire is to have just lyrics display on the iPad.

arlo

Are you using square brackets to delineate the chords within the lyrics?

apbands

I'm not using chords in the lyrics at all. 

arlo

First, you can't put lyrics+chords into the Chords field. If you want to intermingle lyrics and chords in the same field, you will need to put them into the Lyrics field. The Chords field is for chords only.

Second, there's not a quick way to hide chords that are intermingled into the lyrics unless you delineate them with square brackets as in ChordPro formatting. In that case, you can easily toggle the chords display on and off, leaving just the lyrics when the chords are off. The next app version will have a function to convert your current chords-over-lyrics format to ChordPro format with square brackets, so that would be my recommendation.

There are other ways to have multiple versions of a song or multiple versions of the lyrics for a song, but those are oriented toward showing different versions to different band members. But if you just have a personal preference of showing it one way or the other for some gigs, I don't expect that would be worth the effort.