Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Adding Songs Filter is Slow

Started by mikejarjoura, April 30, 2019, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejarjoura

Hi Arlo, and Bandhelper Forum,

I've been noticing that Band Helper web site is very slow when adding songs to the set list, in the edit set list page.  I usually click the link 'add songs' and a small dialog box opens.  In the upper corner, I type a word, or part of the title I'm searching for, and this action takes a long time before any songs display.  Because of the latency, it takes much longer to build a set in the web interface than it does on the iPad.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again, Arlo for an incredible app.

arlo

I tried it with your data (1400 songs) and it took 6-8 seconds for the Add Songs list to initially display, and then 3 seconds to process the search text (including the 2 seconds it waits to see if you're done typing). How does that compare to what you're seeing?

mikejarjoura

Hi Arlo,

Ok, in the set list page, clicking the 'add songs' link, in the popup dialog box, I'm seeing >12 seconds when populating the full song list, and >6 sec if I use the search field. 

However, in the songs page, the full list displays almost immediately and any searching is about 2 seconds.

So not a problem if just making a small change to an existing set list, however, when building a set list from scratch, with 60-80 songs, this is really a long process. 

mikejarjoura

Is the delay different when using different browsers??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejarjoura

Quote from: mikejarjoura on June 04, 2019, 10:12:27 AM
Is the delay different when using different browsers??

Hi Arlo, is the slowness something you're looking into, or is this a non-issue for you? 

It seems odd that the song window fills rather quickly but the 'add song' pop up dialog box has a large delay. Is the data being pulled from the same database/table, with the same query action?  >12secs is really impacting work flow.

arlo

This is on my to do list to look into further.

mikejarjoura

Thanks, Arlo. I was also noticing speed changes in the time of day. But that could be from my ISP and not related to your data servers.

arlo

It looks like most of the time to load the song lists (either on the Repertoire > Songs page or the Add Songs popup on the set list edit songs page) comes from all your smart copies, which require more processing to assemble than regular songs. You have about 1400 songs and about 240 smart copies. But it looks like you're not using smart copies for much; in most cases, the only difference between the smart copy and the original is the title color. Perhaps you an accomplish the same goal in a more efficient way.

Another chunk of time was spent building the list of past set lists in the Add Songs popup, but I was able to optimize that pretty easily. Optimizing the smart copies would be much harder, so it might be more effective for you to use them more sparingly, or for me to add pagination to the Add Songs popup, similar to the Repertoire > Songs page.

mikejarjoura

Hi Arlo,

So, not sure where you might be seeing activity, however, I use the smart copies for just about every set list.  They are my way of marking which songs are requested by the clients.  I have an asterisk in front of the title, and the dark blue color.  This is an awesome feature, because with the asterisk, I can quickly see which songs are requested, and the songs still sort with their associated song, in sort order, instead of all of the asterisk songs sorting from the top.  Additionally, if I make any changes to the song, the smart copy gets updated as well.

I don't mind getting rid of the set lists from previous gigs, however, that data has been useful.  Not sure if you have an archival system in place.

When in the song page in BH-web, the songs display quickly, with minimal delay, however, when in the add song pop up dialog box from the set list page, the songs are slow to refresh and search function is greatly delayed.  That was my initial question, was the way the BH-web handles a call for 'all' songs, and then how it handles 'search' songs, seem to be different. 

What do you recommend as a way ahead?

Again, thanks for an amazing program, and thank you for taking the time to even discuss this in the forums. 

arlo

To clarify, are you using the smart copies to show which songs in a given set list were requested, versus songs that you added? So a given song might show as requested in one set list, but you might include that same song in a different set list even though it was not requested?

I think the difference in speed between the Repertoire > Songs page and the Add Songs popup is that the Repertoire > Songs page is paginated to show only 20 songs at a time by default. If you change that to All, you will probably see similar performance.

mikejarjoura

Exactly.  One set this week has *Stand By Me, because it was requested, but next week, I'll use the standard song, Stand By Me (without the asterisk).  This helps the band know which songs are requested and 'must play' vs. skip if we run out of time. 

Does that help explain our usage of Smart Copies?  This has made a huge difference in our work flow.

Now, I did get the same results on the song page, as the add song popup dialog box, it is >12 sec to populate.

:(

Do the added documents (PDFs) add to the delay of the database songs populating?  Or more about the number of setlists and songs (w/smart copy)?

arlo

That is one intended use of smart copies ... a "per show" version of a song. One thing you could do to speed things up is after you're done using a smart copy (after the event where it was requested), delete it and it will automatically be replaced with the regular copy in your set list. If you only keep the "request" versions for upcoming events, that should make the lists load faster.

Meanwhile I'll keep it on my to do list to further optimize the Add Songs popup.

mikejarjoura

Ok, thanks, I'll consider deleting what I can.