Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Device Linking Delay

Started by Ruckman65, June 09, 2019, 09:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckman65

Currently, around five seconds elapse from the time I select a song on the master device and automation commences on the slave device. The slave device starts playback of the recording and triggers midi presets.

Is that delay to be expected?

arlo

No, I would expect a delay closer to one second. Can you click the device linking button in the top toolbar of the slave device and watch the activity log to confirm whether the delay is in the transmission of the message, or in the execution of the command after the message is received?

Another way to get at that would be to manually select the song on the slave device and see if things happen right away or after a delay.

Ruckman65

Thank you for the reply. When viewing the Device Linking log, the info is received within a second but the automation on the slave device does not start for about three seconds. Then, another two seconds passes before the recording/midi presets kick in. This two second delay is probably because, when recording the automation, the actual recording doesn't start for about two seconds. (Not sure how to get the recording to start at exactly the same time you hit record when setting up an automation track!)

arlo

You can start the recording at the exact start of the automation track by editing the automation track and adjusting the timing for the Start/Stop Recording event.

I assume you're starting the automation track with a Song Selection layout action on the slave device. Does the delay occur between receiving the remote control message and the song being selected, or between the song being selected and the automation track icon highlighting?

If you select the song manually on the slave device, does the automation track icon highlight right away?

Ruckman65

The automation track starts with a Song Selection layout Action. That is the only Action selected in the layout on the slave device. The remote control message is received almost instantly by the slave device. The automation track icon lights up approximately two to three seconds later.

I edited one automation track to adjust the timing for the Start/Stop event to 0:00, but there was still a two second delay before the automation track icon lit up and a further one second delay before the recording started. I assume that if the start is adjusted by, say, 1.5 seconds, then every subsequent event in that automation track would need to be adjusted by 1.5 seconds.

arlo

All right, please submit a help ticket so I can collect the troubleshooting info from your device.

I assume that if the start is adjusted by, say, 1.5 seconds, then every subsequent event in that automation track would need to be adjusted by 1.5 seconds.

Yes, so it's best to adjust the recording start time first before recording other events that sync with the recording. As of version 4.0, you can just add the recording start event directly to the automation track rather than recording that event, then editing its time.

arlo

Okay, the problem here was that you had Settings > Device Linking > Delay Song Selection Actions set to 2 seconds. This setting is meant to help synchronize song selection actions across devices. Normally you would set it on the master device and maybe smaller values on some slave devices, with the slowest device set to 0.