Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

A setlist of setlists?

Started by spkguitar, July 11, 2019, 12:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spkguitar

I'm wondering if there is a way to create a setlist of setlists?

Let me give a use case; my band plays several different kinds of venues. some call for a sets of "tamer" music, some more rowdy. Typically, our setlists consist of 3 sets (sometimes 4) of 45-50 minute with breaks in between. What we would like to be able to do is create several single 45 minute sets, and then combine them into a larger set. I understand that we can do this when adding songs to a new set by selecting from a previously created setlists, but what we would rather have is basically a "link" to those setlists that would update the larger setlist automatically if the smaller setlist is updated.

I hope that makes sense. If not I can provide a practical example.

Does any feature like that currently exist?

arlo

You can't have a set list of set lists. What you could do is build one set list with those several sets and then play from that set list and just jump between the sets as needed at each set break. So if I'm understanding you correctly, one night you might play sets 2, 4, 1 and another night you might play sets 1, 3, 5. But really the best way is to copy each of these sets into a new set list, especially if you want to have a record of which sets you used at each gig, or if you want to make some tweaks to a night's set list compared to the original master list (neither of which would be possible if you were merely linking to sets).

spkguitar

Quote from: arlo on July 11, 2019, 04:13:55 PMSo if I'm understanding you correctly, one night you might play sets 2, 4, 1 and another night you might play sets 1, 3, 5.
Exactly.

Jumping around is kind of what we do; we just do it with different set lists right now, and if/when we change the songs in a particular set, we need to remember to change them in all of them. I guess a singular list with multiple sets is the way to go. Thanks.

arlo

if/when we change the songs in a particular set, we need to remember to change them in all of them

I wouldn't think so. If you copy the songs from your master list into a new set list for each event, there would be no reason to go back and change that later if your master list changes. Leaving it unchanged would have the benefit of showing a record of what set list you used at different points in time.