Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Did Arlo give us a scheduling Easter Egg, and I didn't even know it?

Started by LesStrangers, September 29, 2019, 08:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesStrangers

I was looking at a Bandhelper created event on either iCal or Google calendar - don't remember which - and I clicked on it. Upon doing so, I noticed that in the note field of the iCal or Google Cal event was listed the name of those who had accepted the event.

I don't believe this was the case a year ago, and I don't remember Arlo announcing it.

Arlo, you have some 'splaining to do – this is a great thing, and very helpful. Could only be better if it listed the address or venue, so that one could click that on one's iPhone and link directly to Maps.

Well done! When did you enable this? Was I just missing it?

JerryK

I just posted a suggestion for a Venues module, with connections from/to Contacts, Setlists, Schedule, even Stage Plots and Finance.  See recent posts.

LesStrangers

Jerry, not finding your post. But that does make sense. So often we have to submit a stage plot and the info has to be there for contact, venue, etc.

arlo

I think the users were always listed. Most iCal software only displays a few fields, so this is one of the things (along with the project and category) that just gets crammed into the Description field.

If you want to see a clickable address or other info, I would open the BandHelper app. If you click Schedule in the main menu, then the next event should appear automatically in the Shortcuts section.

LesStrangers

Arlo, I never saw that before, you should be taking credit for it! (But you are such an honest guy).

The address listing in the iCal, etc. is still ideal. Doesn't even need to be clickable per se, as I believe the iPhone will likely recognize it as an address when you hold on it, and a prolonged press will take you to maps.

The problem is that one is pressed for time, and on the way to a gig rushing to make sure you've got everything and realize you need the address for GPS and opening the APP takes another step.

Nonetheless, these improvements are awesome. Hats off.

arlo

I can put it on my wish list, but at some point it's going to get too messy to keep adding things to the iCal description field. I don't think it's unreasonable to open BandHelper, click Schedule and click the map icon for the event.

LesStrangers

It's not unreasonable but people are so different in what they'll do and what they won't.

Some people prefer text, some email, some only use the phone, and I have two members (actually the two most experienced monster musicians) in my band who still use flip phones! People are stubborn, and they like their channels of communication. I've tried to get people to migrate out of their one channel of communication and they just ignore alternatives.

In fact, what first brought me to Bandhelper was the notification channel options you have with SMS, email or APP, because I have those who wouldn't know a smart phone from a pet rock.

But the one thing they mostly all have in common is some calendar that tells them WHEN to show up, and WHERE it is. It's helpful to us as band managers that you gave us WHO is going to show up as well. That's priceless.

This is why I think address is an essential piece of information in the calendar description.

I agree they should have to use the Bandhelper app for other details and job specs.

Quote from: arlo on October 09, 2019, 10:37:18 AM
I can put it on my wish list, but at some point it's going to get too messy to keep adding things to the iCal description field. I don't think it's unreasonable to open BandHelper, click Schedule and click the map icon for the event.

arlo

Okay, noted. However, I would worry that the more you put into the iCal feed, the less likely someone would be to look at BandHelper where other necessary info might be. Maybe it should include either the absolute bare minimum, or everything possible, and anything in between could cause trouble.

Anyway, I mainly see the iCal feed as a way to view all your personal/music/work events in one place to avoid scheduling conflicts, but when you're ready to prepare for a gig, you should open BandHelper to get the info from there.