Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Multiple Automation buttons

Started by Kiff, October 28, 2019, 04:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiff

Hi,
"setlist Maker"
I typically use two recordings for each song, and have multiple recording buttons (two).
One has a recorded instrument solo and the other has the solo without the instrument.
If I have a guest player they have the solo to themselves.
The problem is that I can't seem to layout two separate automation tracks, one for each version, and that means the lyrics/chords
are not moving when there is a guest, as the automation track only works on the last played recording which normally would have included a recorded solo.
Any ideas appreciated. (Also, would be great to be able to change/match colours on buttons in a layout)
Cheers
Kiff

arlo

Would you want to use the second backing tracks for all songs in a show, or do you just have a guest coming up for a few songs?

Kiff

It is just having the choice when a guest player is in the room, in the event that a show is planned, then I would just
setup a new show, but I will use my standard set in most gigs.
A trumpet player made the point that whenever he gets a gig where tracks are used, he invariably has to play over an existing solo
, and avoids the work whenever possible.
Multiple automation buttons will do the trick.
Thanks Arlo

arlo

I don't think you would want to create and maintain multiple automation tracks when the only thing different is the backing track. If you were switching from one version of a backing track to another for every song, you could change Settings > General Settings > Defaults > Recording to change all the backing tracks, and then use the same automation tracks (that also requires that you record the automation tracks by clicking the single recording button to play the default recording, not the multiple recording buttons to play a specific recording).

If you need to change this on a song-by-song basis, you could not make playing the recording a part of your automation track, and instead use the same layout action to start the recording and start the automation track. Then when you want to hear the default recording, you can use the layout action to start it and the automation track, but when you want to hear a different recording, you can select and start the recording and the backing track manually. You would still use the same automation track in either case.

Kiff

Thanks Arlo,
Will give it a try, thanks for being so efficient.
Cheers
Bryan