Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Lessons learned regarding Mp3 recordings

Started by go2ldook, November 05, 2019, 07:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

go2ldook

Wanted to share what I have learned from using mp3 recordings with Bandhelper, which might save some of you some frustrations.

I am currently running mp3 recordings of either a click track or backing percussion in parallel with a Midi file that runs my rig: changed presets on Midi capable guitar pedals and a synth, and triggers my looper to record/play/stop. I am in the process of migrating from the Infinity looper to Loopy HD on the iPad and having success, but that migration really required an understanding of how mp3 tracks can mess you up. Was having issues with timing and had to learn why. As an aside, I use an mp3 Click instead of the native tempo sound of Bandhelper because I can customize it...rimshots for the click with a hi hat sound to remind me of change points. Important since my looping is triggered automatically.

Anyway, I was creating click/percussion tracks in FL Studio, and was having to calculate an offset for my Infinity looper triggers. I assumed this to be a delay issue with Bandhelper. What I now know is that it is the mp3 track that is at fault. When you export an mp3 track from a sequencer, there is actually some time tacked on from the original file. I am calculating about 0.159 seconds on most tracks. I read a post about this in another forum, and that person noted this issue does not happen with wav files. I am using waveform analysis where I run my mp3 Click and the Bandhelper tempo click together and compare. After cutting the measured difference the tracks line up.

The Midi file runs perfectly on time with the Bandhelper tempo click, notably. This is good because while I do not play the Bandhelper click sound, I do have the tempo on so that Bandhelper provides a Midi Clock tempo to my looper and other tempo sensitive pedals. Also important so that preset changes occur at the correct time.

Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

go2ldook

Arlo, wonder if it might be possible to put a control in the recordings section that allows to to either delay or advance the start of the mp3 file on a msec level? It would be important that this only affect the mp3 and not the start of Midi files. I could see where delay might be more difficult if the files are supposed to start concurrently. Advancing the start point would be most important based on my observations, so perhaps possible to start the song a few msec into the file while the Midi file starts at its beginning?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

arlo

I don't know why an MP3 encoding software would add empty space at the start of the file. Do you see this empty space when you open the WAV and the MP3 in a waveform editor? Maybe what you're actually experiencing is a delay needed to decode the MP3 during playback? I wouldn't think that would be as much as .159 seconds, though.

Anyway, you can trim space from the start of a recording on the Repertoire > Recordings > [name] > Edit page in BandHelper.