Main Menu
Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

CC per Song

Started by Magiamusical, December 01, 2019, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magiamusical

I'm using MIDI Presets to select a Helix preset which is used by multiple songs, what I would like to know if when selecting a Song it can send CC to select a Snapshot, The MIDI Preset selects the patch and the song would select the Snapshot using CC. Is this possible?
I'm using Bandhelper on a Ipad

arlo

Yes, BandHelper can send both program changes and control changes. You'll see fields for both on the MIDI preset edit pages.

iguana

Yes, I do this.

Helix recognizes MIDI CC 69 for snapshot changes, with a value range from 0 to 7. So, you'll set up 4 or 8 (depending on how you use snapshots) MIDI presets in BH - CC 69#00, CC 69#01, CC 69#02, etc. - and then add the desired preset to each song.

The caveat is that the Helix takes a bit over a 10th of a second to switch between patches, and if you send the snapshot select command too soon after switching patches, the snapshot select will just get ignored. BH can accommodate this need for a delay. Go into Settings -> Audio & Midi and set the first "Delay Between..." parameter to 0.1, and the second to 0.2. (At least, that's the settings I've found to reliability work for me.)

And while you're on that screen, make sure that Program Changes are being sent before Control Changes.

Magiamusical

I guess I wasn't clear on my question, I do use the MIDI presets to select a Patch and CC within the MIDI preset, but that patch could be used by many songs so what I'm asking is I select the patch with the MIDI Preset (which I already do) and with the song edit page also select a snapshot using CC. If that's not possible I would have to create a MIDI Preset per song. Its really not a big issue but wanted to know if it could be done.

arlo

You can only send MIDI from MIDI presets. This could be a program and/or control change from the same preset, or from a combination of presets attached to the same song if that's easier. In other words, if you want to set up some presets for your program changes and some for your control changes and then mix and match them, you can do that. Is that what you're asking?

Magiamusical

Will do some testing, thanks for the answers

Neill00

This is how I do it.  For instance I have midi presets for the patch on my Voice live rack then another that sends the key for the harmony and yet another that sends the scale.  I could have up to 5 or 6 mix and matched midi presets per song or as little as one.